Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian.tully

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016
The dongle you listed only claims compatibility up to Mojave by the manufacturer. I think you would have better luck with the Sonnet dongle which claims to work with Ventura. I don't know, however, if it gets you Mac features such as Universal Control and others.
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/usb-bluetooth4-micro-adapter/techspecs.html
Really? Thanks for pointing that out. Where did you find the claim that the Kinivo dongle is only compatible up to Mojave?

MacHosehead

macrumors member
May 21, 2022
Really? Thanks for pointing that out. Where did you find the claim that the Kinivo dongle is only compatible up to Mojave?
Here is the support page:

The sonnet dongle uses their driver so I suspect you get basic bluetooth support and not any Mac special features.

Reactions: brian.tully

brian.tully

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016
Weird. Bluetooth dongle seems to be working as expected. I installed and activated the Continuity Activation Tool. After reboot I logged out and back into iCloud. I then enabled Handoff. When I check the "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac", I was able to wake my computer with my Apple Watch --- BUT only the very first time and only once. Any other time I would get the login screen, there would be no "opening with Apple Watch" progress spinner and instead it would just show the password input field.

I tried rebooting and logging out and back into iCloud and repeating the steps but the same thing occurs.

Is it just not possible to reliably unlock one's Mac with an Apple Watch on a CMP5,1 running Mojave and a BT4.0 dongle?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
One thing I might mention for anyone doing the typical recommended upgrade (replacing the old card with the newer one) - if you should be unlucky to have the bluetooth antenna cable break, you can buy replacement antennas but it's a big job to remove it, the entire machine needs to be disassembled and the backplane board must be taken out.

The technician manual from Apple describes how to do this, but it doesn't give detail on some important bits.

The word of caution is the screw that secures the original bluetooth antenna (at the back of the machine) is nearly always outrageously tight and fairly soft, so it's easy to round-out the head of it. Better way is to grip the screw carefully with a long-nosed plier and use that to loosen the screw.

Once you've done that, a jewellers screwdriver can be used. To get out the old bluetooth antenna, it's stuck in by a raised metal catch - you have to use pliers to carefully get the old antenna out past the catch, once that is done it's easy.

PPatla

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
Can you share which USB dongle for BT4 you are using? I tried to install the OSXWIFI upgrade and wound up breaking the Bluetooth data connector on the board (I'm an idiot) so I need to find a USB dongle for Bluetooth that will allow me to upgrade past Mojave using OCLP. Are there any specific USB BT dongles that are compatible/recommended - or alternatively dongles to avoid?

I see a lot of dongles now have BT5, but I'm guessing OSX doesn't support that yet? I haven't been able to find any USB dongles with BT4.1, only BT4.0 -- is that acceptable?

I'm leaning towards the Kinivo USB Bluetooth Adapter for PC BTD-400 (Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Receiver, Low Energy) - Compatible with Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, Raspberry Pi, Linux, MacOS, Laptop & Headphones (https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-USB-Bluetooth-4-0-Compatible/dp/B007Q45EF4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter+for+mac&qid=1672618853&sprefix=USB+Bluetooth+Adapter+for+macOS,aps,83&sr=8-3)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

This was the one I purchased and used.

brian.tully

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016

This was the one I purchased and used.
Thanks for that link. Unfortunately it's currently unavailable. I wound up buying Kinivo and Sonnet dongles. However both only wake with my Apple Watch on the first wake. After the first wake it stops working (the login screen doesn't even show the "waking with Apple Watch").

So something isn't right. I even uninstalled and resintalled the Continuity Activation Tool (CAT), but the same thing. Shame that there isn't a newer/updated fork of the CAT.

Anyone know of any other commands I can run to diagnose/fix the issue with waking with apple watch?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Can you share which USB dongle for BT4 you are using? I tried to install the OSXWIFI upgrade and wound up breaking the Bluetooth data connector on the board (I'm an idiot) so I need to find a USB dongle for Bluetooth that will allow me to upgrade past Mojave using OCLP. Are there any specific USB BT dongles that are compatible/recommended - or alternatively dongles to avoid?

Was that the one on the OSX WIFI board or the one on the Mac backplane board?

Since all my classic Mac Pro 5,1 machines have the updated WIFI and bluetooth I was very surprised when I accidentally moved the cursor from my Mac Pro 7,1 screen over to the screen which the 5,1 was connected to (running). It worked. Keyboard too.

Very nice.

brian.tully

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016
Was that the one on the OSX WIFI board or the one on the Mac backplane board?

Since all my classic Mac Pro 5,1 machines have the updated WIFI and bluetooth I was very surprised when I accidentally moved the cursor from my Mac Pro 7,1 screen over to the screen which the 5,1 was connected to (running). It worked. Keyboard too.

Very nice.
I broke the connector on the Mac backplane board. I has purchased the MacPro 5,1 a few years ago and it already had an upgraded Wifi/BT card, but it was BT 4.0 and not BT 4.1. My problem was that since it was an already upgraded card. the cable of the upgraded card was going into the BT data connection on the backplane in a different way, so it looked nothing like the OSXWIFI instructions. I think the previous owner must have soldered it directly to the backplane as it looked like the black plastic surrounding the wires was a plug that could be unplugged. Alas it was not, as the black plastic crumbled with the slightest force trying to "unplug" it.

I've ordered a couple of BT dongles. I'm still waiting for the second dongle to arrive, but the first dongle (Kinivo) along with the CAT tool has been unreliable. At least the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature has been unreliable, which was my primary goal.

• Sad
Reactions: avro707

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I've ordered a couple of BT dongles. I'm still waiting for the second dongle to arrive, but the first dongle (Kinivo) along with the CAT tool has been unreliable. At least the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature has been unreliable, which was my primary goal.

If theres a guaranteed dongle that does Airdrop, Continuity & Handoff, I'm all ears.

recycleordie

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2021
I'm in the same boat, running Monterey 12.6.1 via Martin Lo 0.8 v2 package, BCM94360CD airport card on an adapter, airdrop works fine, bluetooth connections all work fine with Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse and AirPods.

Apple Watch unlock and Universal Control remain stubborn, sometimes my iPad appears under add display in Display Preferences sometimes it doesn't.
I've done absolutely nothing about this but I just got a desktop notification that my watch can unlock this Mac, clicked through to system preferences and it was already enabled but then got a tap on my watch.

Unusual but good outcome.

Edit: Universal control also works with linked keyboard and mouse but no extended display.

Aegon.hunters

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Jl.Peta Selatan, Jakarta
If you run macOS 10.14+

Restart Mac Pro

Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.

Click Utilities.

Select Terminal

Type

Code:
csrutil disable

Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.

Restart Mac Pro

Open Terminal and run this:

Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-F221BEC8:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"
Code:
sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-F221BEC8\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

Now you only need to delete the kext cache:

Enter this in Terminal:

Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/

Code:
sudo touch .

Restart Mac Pro

Click Utilities.

Select Terminal.

Code:
Type csrutil enable

Restart Mac Pro

If you run macOS 10.15+

Restart Mac Pro

Click Utilities.

Select Terminal.

Type
Code:
csrutil disable

Restart Mac Pro

Open Terminal and run this:

Code:
sudo mount -uw /

Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-F221BEC8:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"
Code:
sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-F221BEC8\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

Now you only need to delete the kext cache:

Enter this in Terminal:

Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/

Code:
sudo touch .

Restart Mac Pro

Click Utilities.

Select Terminal.

Type

Code:
csrutil enable

Restart Mac Pro

if it still does not work please log out of your iCloud accounts on all devices, reboot all devices and sign in to iCloud again.
Can i try this method on MBP 2012 running MacOS Big sur via OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

Aegon.hunters

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Jl.Peta Selatan, Jakarta
Hi @Aegon.hunters
It will not work because from macOS BigSur, binaries are no longer present inside kexts (all binaries are gathered in the dyld_shared_cache_x86_x64 compressed file)
All right, thank’s. Any another tips to fix airdrop & handoff not working on macbook pro 2012 md 101 ?

But my BT shows handoff supported in system profile and handoff shows in general in preferences.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
All right, thank’s. Any another tips to fix airdrop & handoff not working on macbook pro 2012 md 101 ?

But my BT shows handoff supported in system profile and handoff shows in general in preferences.
Using OpenCore you spoof (generally) a MacPro7,1 and that allows handoff, airdrop, etc to work without patching the OS

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
How to do that?
Depends on your opencore method. I use the "manual" method documented here -

Some people find OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) easier.

Either method will allow you to spoof a different model.

todesto

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
Fullerton, CA

I see a lot of dongles now have BT5, but I'm guessing OSX doesn't support that yet? I haven't been able to find any USB dongles with BT4.1, only BT4.0 -- is that acceptable?

I'm leaning towards the Kinivo USB Bluetooth Adapter for PC BTD-400 (Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Receiver, Low Energy) - Compatible with Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, Raspberry Pi, Linux, MacOS, Laptop & Headphones (https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-USB-Bluetooth-4-0-Compatible/dp/B007Q45EF4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter+for+mac&qid=1672618853&sprefix=USB+Bluetooth+Adapter+for+macOS,aps,83&sr=8-3)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Hey, if the antenna connector is only broken off, I may be able to fix it for you.

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
My solution:

attachment.php

I purchased the Broadcom BCM94360CD from Amazon and purchased an adapter from http://www.osxwifi.com, they don't have them on the main page, but you can get one for $44.99 + $5.99. No soldering required.

Currently, I am using a USB Adapter Cable (USB 2.0, IDC 5 Male (single row) to USB A Male) on one of my front USB ports, for the USB data channels.

Once I have tested this a bit longer, I will tap into the old BT USB data channels as described by OP and Kennyman. I suppose that if you did not want to go the route of splicing cable, you could purchase a PCIE USB card with an internal USB plug. Also, I will route the BT antenna out of site.

I will post the final setup once I have some time to do so.

attachment.php

Continuity/Handoff, Airdrop, Phone calls all work.

Specs:

attachment.php

attachment.php
Sorry might have posted this question twice replied to another post. What is the between this adapter and the one for the Macpro3,1. I know for a fact the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are exactly the same. I am confused about this adapter exactly what are the differences because the pin out and the size and everything are identical.

MacModding

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2023
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I thank this wonderful community for all its sharing.

As Monterey no longer offers full support for the older OHCI USB 1.1 standard, quite some users experience that the Bluetooth part of the BCM94360CD WiFi / BT combo module in their classic Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 can no longer function properly when connected in the old way. Some have a flaky/shaky connection, some have no connection at all, some experience a bit of functioning but only at very short distances.

Once we decide to move over to Monterey, we need something in between the old BT-plug on the backplane board and the combo module –or the same module on a Fenvi board– to bring back full functionality. We do this by forcing the system to always make use of (EHCI) USB 2.0, for which there still is support under Monterey.

In case you would like to connect your Fenvi T919 card, an OSX WiFi card or any Chinese combo module to an internal USB connection and have it working under Monterey, without the need for an outside hub and a cable to feed back in, then this may be the all-internal, plug-'n-play solution you're looking for to make Bluetooth 4.0 work properly again under macOS Monterey & later on the Mac Pro 4,1 & 5,1.

Best made in heat-resistant ASA plastic (for up to 105ºC / 221ºF).
Sits neatly behind the CPU cooling block (without touching the cooler) and fits both dual-CPU & single-CPU machines.
Requires no modification whatsoever to the Mac Pro housing, but one does have to temporarily remove the CPU tray.
Offers full functionality, like normal sleep capability, wake-from-sleep by touching a wireless mouse, trackpad or keyboard, Watch Unlock, Handoff, AirDrop, et cetera.
Suited for both 'pure' OpenCore installations and for OCLP installations.
Works 100% fine together with any USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 Gen 1 or 2 PCIe card if present, in contrast to the current OCLP software approach where you can only get BT 4.0 working if you leave out the USB 3 card.
Thoroughly tested during many weeks under real-life circumstances while running various macOS versions, in both MP 4,1>5,1 & 'real' 5,1.

No additional software is required. Connected this way, it's backwards compatible with any flavour of macOS / OSX under which the BCM94360CD can usually function (for 'Handoff' one needs 10.10+) and/or whatever early version of macOS your GPU allows. Also suited for the BCM94360 -CS -CS2 -2CDP (BT 4.2).

Not suited –or needed– for Mac Pro 1,1 / 2,1 / 3,1.

Last but not least: In case you ever invested in a BT 4.0 solution but in practice never got around to using anything else but the basic BT functions towards a keyboard or mouse, you may be well off by activating the Monterey support for the old BT 2.1 module in the OpenCore config (if the little BT 2.1 board and cable are still present). This actually works quite well, especially when adding an external BT antenna. But of course, in that case there's no support for any function that requires BT 4.0 or later.

Attachments

• BT40-Bridge-mounted.png
    BT40-Bridge-mounted.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 146
  • BT40-Bridge-front.png
    BT40-Bridge-front.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
  • BT40-Bridge-backside.png
    BT40-Bridge-backside.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 145
Reactions: weera

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I thank this wonderful community for all its sharing.

That's an interesting piece of gear - looking the the third photo, the cable wrapping around the perimeter of the housing, that plugs into the backplane, and the other cable shown goes to the BCM94360CD?

I think this is effectively the same thing @cdf built a while back - it's a tiny, bus-powered usb hub, yes?

MacModding

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2023
That's an interesting piece of gear - looking the the third photo, the cable wrapping around the perimeter of the housing, that plugs into the backplane, and the other cable shown goes to the BCM94360CD?

I think this is effectively the same thing @cdf built a while back - it's a tiny, bus-powered usb hub, yes?
Yes, the cable & plug shown on the third photo plugs into the tiny 4-pin Molex Picoblade plug on the logic board.
The other cable will run from a Type A male plug to either:
- a 2-pin female JST XH plug when using the typical Chinese boards with the two connection points for D+ & D- on their PCB. In case one has directly soldered the wires to the PCB up to now, one would make it a bit neater by placing a 2-pin male JST XH on the PCB
or
- a 2-pin female Molex Micro-Fit plug to connect with an OSX WiFi board or similar
or
- a 4-pin female JST plug to connect to a Fenvi T919 board

This solution is partly comparable with cdf's wonderful creation, but his solution offers a wider range of connection points. This solution aims primarily at just connecting the BT-part of the combo module in a neat and effective way.
It does, however, have the option to connect more than one USB-plug if so desired, in case one needs a second connection for, e.g., a Thunderbolt card. Devices such as wired keyboards & mice should not be connected this way because of their relatively high power draw (and actually don't work via the tiny plug & a hub).

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Best made in heat-resistant ASA plastic (for up to 105ºC / 221ºF).
Sits neatly behind the CPU cooling block (without touching the cooler) and fits both dual-CPU & single-CPU machines.
Requires no modification whatsoever to the Mac Pro housing, but one does have to temporarily remove the CPU tray.
Offers full functionality, like normal sleep capability, wake-from-sleep by touching a wireless mouse, trackpad or keyboard, Watch Unlock, Handoff, AirDrop, et cetera.
Suited for both 'pure' OpenCore installations and for OCLP installations.
Works 100% fine together with any USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 Gen 1 or 2 PCIe card if present, in contrast to the current OCLP software approach where you can only get BT 4.0 working if you leave out the USB 3 card.
Thoroughly tested during many weeks under real-life circumstances while running various macOS versions, in both MP 4,1>5,1 & 'real' 5,1.

That is interesting. I went through pain upgrading the single X5690 5,1 in my signature. The WIFI card upgrade was easy enough but I wasn't careful enough to connect the cable from the BCM94360CD to the cable running from the default Mac bluetooth antenna at the back. So the connector was broken.

Then I crashed my bicycle and broken femur so out of action for 6 months, so no pulling apart heavy Mac Pros.

Eventually I ordered spare original bluetooth antennas to fix it but they are a massive PITA to replace - you have to pull everything out, the backplane board, the lot and then you are left with a very hard to undo screw securing the antenna in place.

I had to use a tool to grip the screw and loosen it. Once I did that, all good and was more careful connecting the cables. In the Apple Technician Guide for the 5,1 they make it sound so easy, use a jewellers screw driver to loosen that screw, easy right, no, not at all!

What I love about the upgrade on the 5,1 is that it works so seamlessly with my 7,1, I can use same keyboard and mouse for both, sharing things between both easily, air drop, everything - it just makes the old machine feel much more up to date. It's really excellent.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.