802.11ac Phone - New Time Capsule Time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmxp69, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

We've upgraded one 4s to 5s, my 5 to a 6, plus a couple of MacBooks this year. I think we've hit critical mass. Time to upgrade the old TC. Anybody else? Don't think it'll matter for the phones, but I hope it speeds up backups.

Is the 5s 802.11ac?

2. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

The 6 and 6 Plus are the first phones to use ac wireless. No iPads even use it yet.

3. jmxp69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Note to self: Don't tell the wife her stuff won't be any faster, only mine will.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

LOL! You da man.

5. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

It could be slightly faster….lol. The new Aiport's are amazing! I love mine. Much better reach etc, which could equal better speeds in different parts of the house. :D

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Does 802.11ac speed downregulate to 802.11n speed if a device with n wireless is connected?

7. Downs2011 macrumors regular

Yessir!

8. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

ac is one of the nicer surprises with the new iPhone. Just upgraded my router at home to ac (old n router died, decided to take ac for future-proofing)

9. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

You're still talking about wireless, right?

10. boombashi macrumors regular

Nope, that's not correct. Only if you connect a device with a/b/g. If you connect an n device you are fine since it is dual band you will get all the speed of ac and use n devices as well.

https://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

What are you doing on your phone that will take advantage of the additional speed?

12. PaythePiper macrumors member

Sorry boys, but the apple routers are garbage. The new updated netgear and asus DESTROY everything else on the market

13. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

WiFi Syncs

Streaming from NAS. Transferring files from computer.

I don't need to dig out my USB cable every time.

14. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I guess the real question is whether or not you need 802.11AC.

If you have a strong connection, an "N" router is most likely going to be much faster than your internet connection (unless you have Google Fiber), so a faster router won't really help much.

If you find that your signal degrades in parts of your house, the AC router might help since it has "beam forming" which will concentrate the signal in the direction of your device.

However, if your WiFi is generally faster than your internet connection, the only reason to upgrade would be if you were doing a lot of internal transfers (such as copying files from your laptop to your iMac over WiFi).

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

They might be better technically, but those things are always a PITA to set up, troubleshoot, upgrade firmware, and maintain (especially if you are giving one to say your parents in a remote location). So easy to set up and monitor Airports from a Mac or iOS device.

Yeah, I know you are gonna say you've never had a problem with yours, but that is b.s.. I have dealt with dozens of these Netgear, Belkin, Linksys type routers and they are always total pieces of crap that have annoying issues. Tried it so many times and I am done with them. Airports are maybe not perfect, but they are by far the easiest to just get things working.

16. boombashi macrumors regular

Agreed. I have had dozens of routers. Apple Air Port Extremes are the best overall experience - specifically if you are fully invested end to end in the Apple ecosphere. If you are a PC and android user, that would be a different story.

17. jmxp69 thread starter macrumors 6502

3.7tb on a whole home Plex server. Yup, lots of big files moving around on LAN. I GoPro a lot too so....

18. Downs2011 macrumors regular

Haha I should research the stuff I buy a little more I guess, I was always told it would revert to n but I do appreciate the incite!

19. Candurin macrumors regular

I am using my ipad air (5.0ghz N) on my R7000 Netgear router and now getting 120mb/s internet speed (Comcast, south NJ). I also now get just under 50 mb/s on my iPhone 4S (2.4 GHZ N).

I have a hackintosh that I built (dell e6320) that I put the dell 1550W (AC) card in and I get ridiculous connection speeds between my desktop and my dell.

The Netgear router is much less than the airport extreme and I also get amazing distance on my wifi signal (my shed is 300' or so feet from my house and at least 400' from my router location and I get > 80mb/s on my ipad over near it).

I would not hesitate to recommend an AC router to anyone. Pricey, yes. Fast, absolutely!

iPhone: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/931719111
    iPad: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/949303488

20. killawat macrumors 65816

For those who can't understand why ac is in the mix, yeah, i'm in that camp of less than .01% of households mentioned above. For me ac really is a necessity due to 1 Gbps Symmetrical to the home. With 802.11n on the iPhone i'm getting a max of 70 Mbps. Getting a 14 (theoretical) fold increase in speed would really help cloud based transactions such as iCloud backup directly from the phone (if we decided to use it). WAN speeds aside, there are a lot of advantages AC brings that help with a my local area's congested spectrum.

[​IMG]

21. Candurin macrumors regular

HOLY *****! Is that your speed at your house?

22. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Hopefully apple fixed the garbage wifi antennas in these phones. All my I devices suck for wifi.
    $300 router and my devices only are horridly slow

23. killawat macrumors 65816

yes. I have to use an old mac pro as a firewall since most of the commercial solutions that run at wire speed are disgustingly expensive.

24. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They're not bad with aftermarket firmware (DD-WRT or OpenWRT). I like the configuration options they give me. Being able to use non-US channels was a godsend when I was in college, since the "legal" channels were all completely saturated.

I do agree the stock firmware is awful with almost everything though.

25. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I'm jealous of your connection! My city is on the list of potential expansion for google fiber next year, so my fingers are crossed!