Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deltan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Canada
So for those of us with "old" Apple Hardware, what are our choices if we want to get on the 802.11g bandwagon?

I e-mailed both Linksys and DLink, neither have plans to support Apple products with card devices or USB Wireless devices for 802.11g.

I refuse to believe that my only solution is to get a "new" laptop (even though mine is only a few months old) just because I would like to use the faster airport extreme,

Am I in denial? Is that my only solution? If so, anyone want to buy an ibook? heh

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: 802.11g Solution

Originally posted by Deltan
So for those of us with "old" Apple Hardware, what are our choices if we want to get on the 802.11g bandwagon?

I e-mailed both Linksys and DLink, neither have plans to support Apple products with card devices or USB Wireless devices for 802.11g.

I refuse to believe that my only solution is to get a "new" laptop (even though mine is only a few months old) just because I would like to use the faster airport extreme,

Am I in denial? Is that my only solution? If so, anyone want to buy an ibook? heh
are you gonna be trasfering files over a network, if your not then b is gonna be the same as g. your internet will not get better with this.

iJon

Deltan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Canada
Re: Re: 802.11g Solution

Originally posted by iJon

are you gonna be trasfering files over a network, if your not then b is gonna be the same as g. your internet will not get better with this.

iJon

Yes, I intend to use airport for file sharing, almost exclusively actually.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: 802.11g Solution

Yes, I intend to use airport for file sharing, almost exclusively actually.
well than, it looks like 802.11g would suit you just fine. what i would do if i were you is find the companies that make 802.11b pcmia cards for mac and have mac os x drivers. then ask them if they plan to make 802.11g stuff. thats where i would start. i bet you anything there will be a company that makes them because they know they will be a part of a market that apple can only sell to people who have the newest macs.

iJon

Deltan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Canada
Re: Re: Re: Re: 802.11g Solution

Originally posted by iJon

well than, it looks like 802.11g would suit you just fine. what i would do if i were you is find the companies that make 802.11b pcmia cards for mac and have mac os x drivers. then ask them if they plan to make 802.11g stuff. thats where i would start. i bet you anything there will be a company that makes them because they know they will be a part of a market that apple can only sell to people who have the newest macs.

iJon

Well that's kind of what I was asking with my original post, know anyone who plans to offer such products? It won't be DLink or Linksys, I know that much.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 802.11g Solution

Well that's kind of what I was asking with my original post, know anyone who plans to offer such products? It won't be DLink or Linksys, I know that much.
I just checked for you. Apparently if I read correctly Cisco has 802.11b cards with mac os x support. Search their site or email them. They may be the company you are looking for since they are like the networking gods.

iJon

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Even though they might be telling you they won't support it now, soon it will be the standard and everyone will support it. If DLink and Linksys never offer g hardware, I'll eat my b card! :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Beej
Even though they might be telling you they won't support it now, soon it will be the standard and everyone will support it. If DLink and Linksys never offer g hardware, I'll eat my b card! :)
Linksys could care less about the mac. Although they do have firmware upgrades on versiontracker, they arent any different than the windows ones. You just use the web browser to install it. d-link, i have no idea about it. Im only familliar with linksys because i have one of their routers. it was easy to set up with my mac because i have a pc to set it up everything to work right. like i said earlier, i would check out cisco, on versiontracker there drivers got an average of 4 out 5 stars on their firmware upgrades, which means they are doing a good job to keeping up with drivers, go see if they have any g produts in the works.

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it doesn't matter whether or not they care about mac, they'll develop the hardware quickly for PCs and then follow suit with mac drivers when they realize there is a demand (partially created by apple) and a chance to make money. it should not be long, i would think a couple of months, before there's a mac pcmcia card for g.

pnw

Deltan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Canada
Originally posted by paulwhannel
it doesn't matter whether or not they care about mac, they'll develop the hardware quickly for PCs and then follow suit with mac drivers when they realize there is a demand (partially created by apple) and a chance to make money. it should not be long, i would think a couple of months, before there's a mac pcmcia card for g.

pnw

I like your attitude Paul :D

I just hope you're right about that. Shutting every mac user out of the 802.11g spectrum ridiculous IMO.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel

pnw
in my opinion, 2 months at the quickest. also i wouldnt count on linksys being the company.

iJon

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Well, I have been waiting for an 802.11a mac solution, and there is not one yet, and 11a has been ratified, while 11g is still a draft spec. So I would still be nervous (and still am). We are currently running an 11a test network at work, and my employers would buy me a card if only there were an 11a and/or 11g adapter that would work in a PBG4dvi.

Funny thing, I am thinking of getting my wife's desktop pc an 11g pci card adapter, since she wants to move the computer to make way for a future baby crib (I will be a first time father in July), and Amazon has one solution, and it 'goes on sale' in 1969. Wow, I didn't realize that 11g had been around so long... ;-)

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
There is already a company making them, i remember seeing the site, but i can't remember where i got the link, i'll try and track it down guys. They had everything but a PCI card, which was what i was after.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by jaguarx
Hey people look at this!
http://www.provantage.com/XC_DLNW.HTM
and
http://www.dslreports.com/hosted/wlan

Sorry:
Win95, 98, Me, 2000 and XP only, check the docs.

Before you get too excited next time, check out which OS they provide drivers for. I can stick all the cardbus cards into my laptop that I want, but that does not mean that Mac OS X will know what to do with them. There is nothing in the links above about any 802.11g or 11a product for Mac OS X

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I'm sick of incompatibility. But would I switch? NEVER! NEVER I SAY!

So what would I do? KILL ALL THE NOT-MAC-CARING BASTARDS!!!!!!!! BURN EM!!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whew

irmongoose

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I can't imagine that Apple won't make some sort of device or card to allow us to jump on board. After all, this would generate more revenue by selling Airport a second time to those of us who already have wireless up and running. I called my Apple Store about five minutes after the keynote ended and asked if they knew anything, but Apple has them in the dark, as usual.

Dan

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
My point was more that hardware exists, drivers will come in time.
All i'm interested in at the moment is a PC PCI card anyway - i want a bridge between by existing network and my powerbook.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by alset
I can't imagine that Apple won't make some sort of device or card to allow us to jump on board. After all, this would generate more revenue by selling Airport a second time to those of us who already have wireless up and running. I called my Apple Store about five minutes after the keynote ended and asked if they knew anything, but Apple has them in the dark, as usual.

Dan

Apple will make $100-200 per by selling airport extreme cards; they'll make $1000-2000 by selling macs that are equipped. i doubt we'll see apple making a 11g solution anytime soon. forced obsolescence is right up there with artificial obsolescence in ways a company can make money... apple has the latter thanks to their design team :)

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.