802.11n 5GHz Benefits?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ikos, Jun 3, 2009.

1. ikos macrumors regular

I have an Airport Express that im running at 802.11n (B and G compatible setting) I was wondering what sort of real world performance gains could I see if I was to set it to 802.11n 5GHz only? Im using the 802.11n B and G setting because of my iPhone 3g and crappy old pc my girlfriend is using, they're both on 802.11g.

thanks in advance!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Less interference in the 5GHz range. n only lets you run twice as fast as compatibility mode.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Mainly its speed. The G will cap out at around 54 megabits per second, where as the N will be around 300.

U wont see this speed when you're on downloading on the internet however. U will see it though when your moving files across computer on your network.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5GHz adds 300Mbps transmission rates because there is less interference, but the con is that you have a lot less range.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Like rgarjr said, you'll only really see any difference on your internal network, unless you have something like 50/20 FIOS or Comcast's 50Mbps package. (I realize you're in Toronto; and a quick glance at Rogers shows a 10Mbps download option)

Even on my Comcast connection, which is 12-16Mbps download, I can max it out with a 2MBps [2MBps x (8Mb/1MB)= 16Mbps] download rate on 802.11g.