802.11n 5ghz range question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aminewyork, Nov 11, 2008.

1. aminewyork macrumors newbie

I did a search on this but I didn't come up with much.

I had an issue with my macpro losing wifi connection to my time capsule. My setting was 802.11n (b/g compatible). When I switched the setting to 802.11n 5 Ghz, I could connect no problem. I also so an increase in speed on both my macpro, my mbpro, and my mbair within the area of my home office.

However the range was horrible. Normally, with 802.11n (b/g compatible), I can go anywhere in my house and have a connection. with 802.11n 5 Ghz I could barely walk upstairs.

I have VOIP so I thought the 5Ghz setting would help but it didn't.

Is the range really that horrible?

-J

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

The high the signal frequency, the fast the signal will attenuate. The 2.4Ghz signal will travel farther and penetrate structural elements (walls/floors) better than 5Ghz for the same transmit power.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes, the range is that horrible. I have a single brick wall and a distance of about 3m between my TC and Mac Pro - the 5Ghz setting drops constantly, whereas 2.4Ghz is solid. Waste of time essentially, unless you can see the base station from where the computer is.

4. aminewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I will try it at 2.4Ghz and see how that goes.

Either way, 802.11n @ 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz should be, technically, faster and than the "b/g compatible" setting, right?

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Should be, yes. I run two networks (2.4Ghz N only and 2.4Ghz B/G on different channels) to try and get higher throughput. Usually works okay, though video streaming can be a bit hit and miss.

6. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I do this too ... I have a Linksys WAP54g handling the b/g traffic on channel 1 and an Airport Extreme running "N" only on 2.4Ghz on channel 11. I live in a rural area, so there is no chance for interference with my neighbors. The "N" only has all the Apple systems in the house ... ATV, MacBook Pro and Mini (via an Airport Express) and the G has all of the other stuff. I rarely have issues with streaming movies from my iTunes on the Mini to the ATV. I tried to use the 5Ghz "N", but the ATV is too far from the Extreme to connect reliably. If the spec for the 5Ghz spectrum had allowed for more power, it would have been useful, but currently, there is not enough juice to get good connections through floors and walls.

7. aminewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

I switched to the 2.4Ghz setting and all is well with my macs.

Of course our iphones can't connect, so I am working on adding my old Airport Extreme to my TC, and run that in b/g for the iphones.

Now if I could only get my AX to stop flashing amber and show up in my Airport Utility!

Can anyone point me to the best post explaining how best to extend my network by adding Airport Extreme to TC so that I can run TC at (b/g) and run AX @ n 5Ghz?