802.11n Airport Express???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sozo33, Apr 6, 2007.

1. sozo33 macrumors newbie

So congratulations on the Airport Extreme update, but now I want that portable version called the Airport Express (n capable) to take with me or to extend my N Network. I know, I know... I'm asking a lot.

Does anyone know of such talk from Apple?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There has been no talk of an N capable AP Express, at least if there has, it's run right past me, and I watch this forum like a hawk...

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Is there a reason why Apple would not make the airport express N capable (at least eventually?) For example, are the chips too expensive? Is it a product they're going to phase out?

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

A hawk without eyes can't be a very good hawk.

I am being SARCASTIC, and, this is also a very bad joke

5. macleod199 macrumors 6502

It may be an issue with the need for multiple antennas. 802.11n gets some of its benefits from using MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out), which as the name implies, requires multiple antennas to see the benefits. The basic concept is that if you have more than one omnidirectional antenna you can form a 'beam', as if you had a directional antenna. Since you're directing more of the power in one direction, you're going to get better range, assuming you're pointing it at your target. You're also reducing interference between different transmitters.

SO, you might have to make the Express bigger to do N, kind of defeating the point. Especially because there's already a kinda-sorta bigger Express called the Apple TV that supports N.

I'm still hoping they put one out, but I think it might be morphed into an Apple TV Mini or something. Unfortunately....all I want is Airtunes!