802.11N Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Jun 6, 2007.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

airTunes and things like that don't need the N speeds... but what about us who use the Airport Express as a bridge / repeater?

I'm hoping Apple updates this!

Ya know how sometimes apple just gives things a spec bump without an announcement? What do you think the chances are of this thing seeing a spec bump during / after WWDC?

2. Jimmery macrumors member

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You'd of thought they would, just to improve network speed throughout a house, but there are two problems. First is that the Airport Extreme offers slightly more, and costs slightly more, so they'd like that to sell first I think. Second, music can now be played through the AppleTV that has "N" support.

Those aren't easy or cheap options, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Airport Express and AirTunes feature was dropped, just so they could sell their more expensive products.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, I pretty much agree with your theory. I see them either updating the express with 802.11n or... just dropping the thing altogether.

5. bmoorhouse macrumors member

Yes, except that the AppleTV requires menu navigation through a television set to access or listen to music. For many of us, the AEXP is connected to a stereo with no television nearby. In this case, the AppleTV is hardly a replacement product.