Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
airTunes and things like that don't need the N speeds... but what about us who use the Airport Express as a bridge / repeater?

I'm hoping Apple updates this!

Ya know how sometimes apple just gives things a spec bump without an announcement? What do you think the chances are of this thing seeing a spec bump during / after WWDC?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
You'd of thought they would, just to improve network speed throughout a house, but there are two problems. First is that the Airport Extreme offers slightly more, and costs slightly more, so they'd like that to sell first I think. Second, music can now be played through the AppleTV that has "N" support.

Those aren't easy or cheap options, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Airport Express and AirTunes feature was dropped, just so they could sell their more expensive products.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Those aren't easy or cheap options, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Airport Express and AirTunes feature was dropped, just so they could sell their more expensive products.
Well, I pretty much agree with your theory. I see them either updating the express with 802.11n or... just dropping the thing altogether.

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
Second, music can now be played through the AppleTV that has "N" support.

Yes, except that the AppleTV requires menu navigation through a television set to access or listen to music. For many of us, the AEXP is connected to a stereo with no television nearby. In this case, the AppleTV is hardly a replacement product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.