Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
What exactly does this do for an iPod Touch? I'm confused as to what the 802.11n AirPort Express is.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It is a small portable Wireless Access Point. They just upgraded it the 802.11n (d2) so that it could be used to extend a Wireless N network created by a New Airport Extreme Basestation or Time Capsule.

TEG

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
But since it only has one ethernet port (for Internet) I assume then any other computers can only connect wirelessly, so they must have their own wireless access?

Why would I buy the Express over the Extreme? Seems like the Extreme is more useful, especially to computers that don't have wireless cards.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It is cheaper, and more portable, plus it has AirTunes. The Extreme is the Main Base Station, but the express can extend the Extreme's network (or vise-versa). At my parents house I have setup a network of 3 expresses, with a PC wired into one to give the PC internet access. The network covers the whole house and most of the property, but the express is easily hidden so few people even know we have Wi-Fi.

TEG

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
But since it only has one ethernet port (for Internet) I assume then any other computers can only connect wirelessly, so they must have their own wireless access?

Why would I buy the Express over the Extreme? Seems like the Extreme is more useful, especially to computers that don't have wireless cards.

I posted this on the accessories forum, but for me, I use my new Airport Express while I'm traveling in hotels. I take their wired internet connection, plug it into my AE and then I have wireless for my ipod Touch and my laptop. Very handy device.

also would work great as a wireless print server in case you wanted multiple computers in your house to print off the same printer.

The Airport Extreme is nice in that you can still do the centralized printer thing, or you can hook up an external hard drive as a backup. Also, it's a true router that allows you to plug in several wired computers if you'd like.

For a home that is completely wireless and if you have no desire for a shared hard drive, the Express is a good tool and it's relatively cheap.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
But, can't you use this as a router?

Say you have a modem or whatever, can't that WAN cable just plug directly into the airport express and act as a router for up to 10 users?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
So there are no other alternatives to the Express, that are less expensive?

rusty.

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Houston, Texas
It is cheaper, and more portable, plus it has AirTunes. The Extreme is the Main Base Station, but the express can extend the Extreme's network (or vise-versa). At my parents house I have setup a network of 3 expresses, with a PC wired into one to give the PC internet access. The network covers the whole house and most of the property, but the express is easily hidden so few people even know we have Wi-Fi.

TEG
you could put it in the attic and they reach 10 times further it makes my belkin n1 range so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.