802.11n connection under vista with macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captain crunch, May 24, 2008.

1. captain crunch macrumors newbie

captain crunch

I'm having the hardest time connecting to my airport extreme using my intel mac book pro while using vista (via bootcamp). I have my airport extreme set to broadcast in 802.11n only and i really don't want to go mixed mode.

When i use vista my wireless device shows up as a 802.11b device (Atheros 7.4.2.40). Does anybody know where i can download a proper driver to enable 802.11n on the vista side? Would using parrallels bypass this issue?

pretty much the only reason for me to use vista is for my delorme gps software that i need for my gps but i keep it around for some work stuff to (just in case).

Thanks so much!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The BootCamp drivers on the disc allow me to use N-routers. Have you tried updating the BootCamp to 2.1?

3. watermelon macrumors regular

You can download the drivers from apple's bootcamp section on their website, or just put the airport into mixed mode. i have the airport extreme and theeres no difference at all during mixed and just n mode.

4. captain crunch thread starter macrumors newbie

captain crunch

Thanks guys.

Watermelon can you send me the link for the 802.11n vista wifi driver? I haven't been able to find it unfortunately.

Yesterday I updated boot camp to 2.1 and my airport extreme to 7.3.1 but under vista the atheros card still does not show up as 802.11n so i don't understand what is going on. If i opened up the airport (ie no security) in osx and using mixed mode i was finally able to connect using vista. I haven't had a chance to set the security on the vista side (setting any sort of security on the osx side screws up vista and i can't connect).

ideally i want to connect using WPA2 personal security with a hidden network using 802.11n but i haven't that far yet. it shouldn't be this painful!

So far the airport extreme has been one big let down with weird vista connection issues and airdisks continuously running or the airdisk just not mounting at all. hopefully the 7.3.1 update has corrected the airdisk issues but i gave up on the whole lossless itunes collection via 500 gig airdisk idea i had awhile ago.

5. cmascatello macrumors member

You will have to disable the Wide Channel option in Airport Utility for the Base Station in order to get it to work with WinXP or Vista. It will slow down the OSX WiFi speeds as a result, though.

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a