802.11N/EHD Network question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nolanpa, Mar 20, 2008.

1. nolanpa macrumors newbie

MacBook C2D 2.0 (Nov 2006) Tiger 10.4.11, N compatible
    XP Pro SP2 Box w/ Wireless G card
    Wireless G non-Apple Router
    Airport Express Wireless N

1st Time poster, so excuse my novice status and long post. If there is a link to answer these questions, could not find, and apologize ahead of time.

Currrently, have iTunes libraries shared and can stream Airtunes from the MacBook and XP box.

Have been waiting on updating to Leopard and Wireless N till 10.5.2 and the Airport Disk issue with Time Machine was ironed out. With the latest Airport update allowing wireless Time Machine backups w/AEBS, am now looking into upgrade to Leopard, adding Wireless N and an external 500 GB HD. Purpose is to store bootable backups for the MacBook, XP box, use Time Machine wirelessly for MacBook , and to stream consolidated digital media. I also see that Time Capsule cannot stream digital media, so if that is correct that would rule out Time Capsule.

From what I understand in regards to MBits/sec, an external Lacie Gigabit Ethernet EHD connected to AEBS (1000 MBits/sec) might be faster connection in “Real World” versus AEBS w/USB EHD over Wireless N (230 Mbits/sec) or Time Capsule. Or, does the fact that they are both connected to the Wireless N router make that a moot point? Sorry, confused on this point.

I have also looked at the Lacie D2 Quaddra and the My Book Studio Quad interface. What considerations (is it possible through partition?) are there for storing a bootable XP backup on HFS+ formatted drive?

Cheers!

2. nolanpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional Info

Just saw where Lacie said that their Network Storage solutions are not compatible with Time machine: http://www.lacie.com/us/more/?id=10050

Does this still apply with the latest Airport update? By "Direct-Attached", does that rule out Ethernet EHD altogether?

Stuff