802.11N enabler with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Silverbird0000, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I know that the Airport Extreme N comes with the N enabler, but does anyone know if Time Capsule will? The Airport Extreme says it ships with the enabler on Apple's website, but Time Capsule says nothing about it. I have a white iMac, the one that was out just before the Aluminum ones. I know it has to be enabled to use N. I also have a new Santa Rosa Macbook, does it need to be enabled or is it already? I plan on getting a Time Capsule as soon as it is released and would like to know if i'm gonna need the enabler or if it will come with it. Thanks for any responses!

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

It'll probably be included, most likely on the disc that comes with the Airport software. The MB should already be enabled though.

3. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply! I was guessing the MacBook was already enabled but wasn't sure.

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You can find out for sure by opening up Network Utility (found in Applications ---> Utilities). There's a dropdown menu for 'Network Interfaces', and en0 should be selected by default. Click onto it and pick 'en1'. Under interface information, by 'Model', it'll say Wireless Network Adapter (80.2.11 a/b/g) or Wireless Network Adapter (80.2.11 a/b/g/n).

5. elmo151 Guest

yes, it will

6. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you everyone for your replies! As soon as I get home I'll check the computers in network utility! All my questions have been answered! Thanks!!

7. gothamm macrumors 6502a

i am a little concerned as to what you think the n-enabler actually does.

you do know its to enable macs which have wireless n built in (core 2 duo models)?

8. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I do know that. I know that my iMac has a built in wireless N, but I know that it was not activated when shipped. It is a 20" C2D iMac. I also have a 2.2 C2D MacBook.

9. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the iMac en0 is default as you said, but when I go to en1 it says (802.11 a/b/g/n). Does that mean it is activated? On the MacBook en1 is already the default and it says (802.11 a/b/g/n). I'm guessing since en1 is default on the MacBook it is N enabled and the iMac is not?

10. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

en0 is simply your ethernet port, so it won't mention wireless anything. So long as en1 says a/b/g/n, then it's enabled (so both of them are enabled). I suppose the easiest way to double check it is, once you have your Time Capsule, to set it to 802.11n (5GHz). Only n-enabled Macs (or PCs) will even be able to see this network.

11. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never activated the iMac. So I wonder why it says a/b/g/n. Maybe it was when I went from Tiger to Leopard.? I'll let everyone know if it works when I get my Time Capsule.

12. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I assume Apple is assuming that most people are buying it to use with Time Machine, and therefore will be running Leopard, which as far as I know includes the N-enabler. It could still be an issue for people running Tiger on other systems on their network, though, I suppose, so I can't see why they wouldn't include it.

13. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that answers my question as to whether or not Leopard was responsible for my N capabilities being enabled!

14. mjcphoto macrumors newbie

Network Utilities only shows 802.11 a/b/g no "n"

Hi

I have a Mac Book Pro 2GHZ Intel Core Duo model. I purchased an Airport Extreme about 6 months or 8 months ago. It works great, however, when I checked my connection speed today in Network Utilities it shows 802.11 a/b/g (no "n").

I tried re-installing the disc that came with the airport extreme as it's suppose to "n" enable my machine. However, Network Utilities still shows a/b/g.

I'm currently running Leopard Mac OS 10.5.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
    Michael

15. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Only the Core 2 Duo generation MBPs have the hardware to support 802.11n (the chipset and additional antenna(s)).

16. JW008 macrumors 6502

Most of my wireless devices around the house use 80.2.11 g (iPhone, PowerBook, etc), but my iMac has the ability to use N. When/If I get Time Capsule will I see a boost in speed for my iMac because of the "N," or will I have to keep the network slower because I need to leave it compatible with "G" devices?

17. gothamm macrumors 6502a

you would have to keep the slower network.

To have wireless N connectivity, you would need for all of your devices to have wireless N built it.

18. Alith macrumors 6502

My first Mac arrives soon (yay!) so I've been hoovering up info and reading .pdf's for weeks to prepare. I remember reading this the other night about the WiFi networks. This applies to AirPort Extreme but I'm guessing it is transferrable to Time Capsule as well.

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Enabler was only for people using Tiger. Leopard included it I believe.

20. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was thinking. I wonder why this was not an advertised feature?