Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C3sound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Los Angeles
So I have a pretty good internet connection with the wireless - but only while I am right next to the router.

Its running at around 130mbps and when I take a slight left out the door, walk about 6-10 feet to my room, and then another slight left to my desk - it drops from 130 to 7.

Whats the issue?

I do have 2 reference monitors that have sizable magnets in my room. I dont know if that helps. It's never been a problem anywhere else I have lived.

Do I need to try a new wifi channel? I am on 11 and theres only 1 other person on 10 according to the wifi stumbler application. Im not in a metro area, just a suburban neighborhood - so its not like theres a million people on wifi around me.

Any ideas?

Thanks all,
Curtis

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I doubt it is the computer. I had a d-link router with the exact same problem. After a LOT of research, I found that the router had issues. Which router do you use? Since then, I have bought the Cisco E3000 (if i remember correctly) and never reproduced the problem.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
it could just be the walls in your abode. or you could have a low-end router. or, you could be using a wifi channel that is already saturated.

are you using 5ghz or 2.4ghz? 2.4ghz, as mentioned before, penetrates walls better.

what kind of equipment are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.