802.11n Fine - but not around corner...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by C3sound, Dec 28, 2011.

1. C3sound macrumors newbie

So I have a pretty good internet connection with the wireless - but only while I am right next to the router.

Its running at around 130mbps and when I take a slight left out the door, walk about 6-10 feet to my room, and then another slight left to my desk - it drops from 130 to 7.

Whats the issue?

I do have 2 reference monitors that have sizable magnets in my room. I dont know if that helps. It's never been a problem anywhere else I have lived.

Do I need to try a new wifi channel? I am on 11 and theres only 1 other person on 10 according to the wifi stumbler application. Im not in a metro area, just a suburban neighborhood - so its not like theres a million people on wifi around me.

Any ideas?

Thanks all,
    Curtis

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I doubt it is the computer. I had a d-link router with the exact same problem. After a LOT of research, I found that the router had issues. Which router do you use? Since then, I have bought the Cisco E3000 (if i remember correctly) and never reproduced the problem.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try switching to the 2.4 GHz frequency space. It sounds like a simple dead zone. Or try moving the router.

4. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

it could just be the walls in your abode. or you could have a low-end router. or, you could be using a wifi channel that is already saturated.

are you using 5ghz or 2.4ghz? 2.4ghz, as mentioned before, penetrates walls better.

what kind of equipment are you using?