Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Hey guys.

Ok i know the Iphone4 they have said it will support 802.11N but they did not note what Hz's it will be running. So i assume its will be the standard 2.4hz.

Wishing & hoping 5hz's would be included as well.
Any one have any inside in this?

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Thanks,

Yha i know it was wishful thinking. but come on all there other hardware support it already.

I would guess it's a power consumption thing holding them back..

Skinfaxi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008
What is the practical difference between the frequencies? What effect will it have on the phone?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
What is the practical difference between the frequencies? What effect will it have on the phone?

Faster transfers with 5.2 GHz, less penetration through walls, objects, etc. The phone wouldn't likely be able to utilize all of the bandwidth 5.4 GHz affords anyway. It would only really matter if you've got a bunch of 2.4 GHz devices on the same network.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Probably because it is small and cramped inside of the iPhone and maybe the dual band chip is too big or something.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
The diffrence's Here is a quick run down.

5hz's has allot more channels vs the 11 2.4hz's has
Which would elimiate more of the cross channel noise.

5hz's is also a higher frequensee so you have less apliances around you house that create noise like microwaves and what not.

At the same time since 5hz's is a higher frequense it does not pass throug objects as well as 2.4hz's

real world senrio.
My home network with 3 appletv's work alot better runing HD movies over 5hz's because there is less noise on that channel

At 2.4hz i do not get as solid of a bar but i could go across the street into the yard and still have signal.

At 2.4hz i get a solid bar to the other side of my yard and my whole house first and secound floor.

My current setup is 3 wifi setups because of the mixture of devices i have.

first is G (uverse gateway) used for old Iphones (i have 3 in the house)
then i have a apple extreme router setup with 2 N's 2.4 and 5 appletv' in house either wired or setup for 5hz's and laptops'
2.4 is for my 3gs iphone and if i ever need the reach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.