802.11n network for my new Macs...Equipment purchase advice req..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marbles, Mar 12, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

So the time has come, the G3's will used as media servers as the intel mob are coming to my house! .
    A Mini and white Macbook to be specific.( cannot wait :D )

Basically I'm looking for advice on which equipment to buy to best set up a wireless n network for the new Macs.

I'll probably be wanting to have just the Macbook using Airport and keep the Mini connected through Ethernet.....but I think other family members have ideas to the contrary

I've external hard drives/ printers- it would be great to be able to access those along with accessing the old G3's ...

Any advice, recommendations and general opinions on what would be good or what the best way to go about this is ... would be very much appreciated.

thanks

~m

2. mik34 macrumors member

Airport extreme

I would recommend the airport extreme. You can connect your external HDD or even a USB hub with HDD, printer, etc attached to the AEBS and have remote access.

3. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Could be a problem in parts of Europe according to this article:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=17059
    It was written in 2007 though so?.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

5. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

ye I mean I doubt anything like this could be enforced tbh but thought I'd mention it.

If anyone wants to share what they did when setting up your own n networks along with what equipment you purchased & the reasons for doing so ... please do, that'd be great.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ISP provided a modem with wifi, so using that as G
    I have Airport Extreme N set up as N 5.0ghz connected to modem, in WAP mode.

In a separate room use Airport Express -> switch -> multiple devices

5.0ghz N mode = less interference than standard 2.4ghz band, and much lower latency.

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thanks for the reply's so far.

I'm thinking of connecting a HD or two to the network ...any thoughts on this?, -what's it like for access speeds etc , which products would offer me a decent combination of features along with good security for what I'm trying to do?