802.11n on iPod Touch??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carrollf, Apr 6, 2008.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

Would making the Touch support 802.11n (5 GHz mode) be a simple software upgrade or it is impossible? Why does it not support 802.11n already?

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

According to iFixIt.com, their unit had a Marvell W8686B22, an 802.11a/b/g chip. So unless Apple did a quiet, unannounced upgrade to the iPod touch at some point, perhaps when introducing the 32 GB model, a software upgrade would not be able to go from g to n.

I only say the possibility exists (assuming availability of such a chip) because Apple put those draft N chips in their computers for awhile without it being an advertised spec, followed by the $1.99 software upgrade.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Why should it support 802.11n? The wifi is already has clocked down speed to conserve power. Adding 802.11n would just require more power and a larger chip for the same speed.

4. imbatman macrumors newbie

Well the reason I found this post, the reason I need 802.11n on my iPod Touch, is because one 802.11g device on an .11n network slows the entire network down to .11g speed.

I'm going to solve this by setting up an old wireless router specifically for the iPod to connect to... bit drastic, but can't think of any other solutions!