802.11n only going 2.4mbs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Samuriajackon, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I have both Mac's listed in my signature and an 802.11n link sys wrt120n type router. With both machines back and fourth I can only transfer at 2.4MB/s, i found a place in the router setup that says N Transmission and changed it from Auto to Max(65MB/s) but i can't transfer nearly that fast.

Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

Hold down the OPTION/Alt key when clicking the AirPort/WiFi icon in the Menu Bar and report what it says after PHY Mode, Channel and Transmit Rate.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow didn't know that - cool trick :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Holding down the OPTION/Alt key while clicking on something sometimes reveals alternative options.
    Try it with the :apple: menu or the Sound icon in the Menu Bar. And while a menu is open, you can also press the OPTION key to reveal more.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Many times transfer information in the OS is given in MB/s, Megabytes. The router is really most likely talking Mbps, Megabits.

Factor of 8 difference.

Without googling, 65Mbps sounds about right for a 802.11n network with a single spacial stream for tx/rx.

Out of that there is protocol and encryption overhead. See the OSI network layer models. The 65 Mbps (Megabit) value is at the physical level, every level takes a small chunk out for reliability and network functions. The 2.4 MB/s (Megabyte) value is at the highest application level.

General rule for wireless is 60%. 60% of 65 is ~39 Mbps. 8bits in a byte, and the highest transfer rate with perfect signal and protocol usage you'll see up at application level might be 4.8MB/s.

Which can easily drop off quickly with wireless signal strength.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The OPs router is a Draft N. I'd consider something a little newer or better yet 5GHz

7. Samuriajackon thread starter macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

8. simsaladimbamba

So menel's information applies for your problem?

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Also the battery icon or bluetooth icon. Finder --> Go and hold down Alt will also reveal your Library folder.

----------

Yes, I was getting about 4-5 mega bytes per second over N 2.4 GHz, but I get 9-10 MB/s over 5.4 GHz N. Unfortunately my iPhone no longer works on wifi, but it's not a big loss.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

A lot of factors in play there.

It depends on your router and your client devices. A single spacial stream 5GHz is going to be no better than a 24ghz. But if its got a 2x2, or 3x3 setup then huge boosts. A high end MIMO 5ghz router set to operate at 2.4 ghz will typically blow a entry level single stream 2.4only router away.

If you're in an apartment complex with lots of 2.4g/n networks, the 5ghz bands have more spectrum separation and are distanced from interference. Most home owners I have run 2.4ghz on a high performance MIMO router (e.g. E2000/E3000), higher frequencies attenuate faster and don't have the range of the lower frequency 2.4ghz.

If I were you, i'd have kept your old router around to support legacy 2.4ghz devices, or drop your new one down to 2.4ghz, bet you'll have good speeds, and iPhone can join.

The Linksys E2000 and E3000 refurbs that pop up on slickdeals or microcenter have been great performing cost-effective buys.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's a linksys wrt320n. I can always switch it back to 2.4 GHz if I need to, but I don't. Yes, the router is indeed in a large apartment building in London and there are lots of wireless networks.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Good router, the same hardware essentially,carried over to the renamed E2000's I mentioned.

Yup, you're best on 5GHz channel for main router. Could always get a cheapie or maybe a tossed aside G or even B for your phone to connect to. Disable DHCP and use as basically another access point wired to your primary.