Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Guys, I am planning to buy a new router because the current one (D-link 524) freezes sometimes and I have to reset it.

I want one with wireless-"N". Will my macbook pro mid 2010 and my other laptop (also with wireless - "N") be faster in the network?

This is the model I want, its a black one: http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...VproductId97826161VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

Does anybody know it? Is it a good purchase?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
You realize that the bottleneck is your connection to the web, right? And that your connection is at the mercy of your provider?

Simply getting data back and forth to your router faster will have no effect on your throughput.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
You realize that the bottleneck is your connection to the web, right? And that your connection is at the mercy of your provider?

Simply getting data back and forth to your router faster will have no effect on your throughput.

Yeah, but depending on what he runs at home. If he has a lot of computers and devices networked that includes a media center it's good to have that connection.

If it's strictly for internet....yeah, N isn't really needed.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

The OP did not say anything about the web...

OP, yes inside your network (as you asked) communications will be faster if both devices are N.

Linksys/Cisco make good products, I think this router would be fine for you. You could of course spend a little more, but it is going to come down to what you do and how big your abode is (if you need to play some APs to extend coverage).

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Although N generally can run on channels less used or over saturated and it can extend the useable distance as well. More exists to the reasoning for wanting N than just internet through speed. With the newer airport extremes, I have a better and more useable/ sustainable signal throughout my house than I did before with standard vanilla G routers and the first iterations of N to hit the market.

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Will it be faster in your network? Yes. We had a huge change in streaming capabilities when switching from our WRT54G to the N. Will it give you faster internet speeds? Most likely not.

We just replaced our router and lo and behold it was the bottleneck for our dl/ul speeds. I wouldn't buy another Linksys. Just picked up the Airport Extreme and haven't been happier with a router yet. We had the E2500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.