802.11n wireless expresscard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kidzdoc, May 7, 2007.

1. kidzdoc macrumors newbie

Anybody know if there is a 3rd party or Apple 802.11n wireless Expresscard for my Macbook Pro Core Duo laptop? I have the new Airport Extreme, but can't fully utilize the speed of the n-protocol because the Core Duos only have the b/g cards?
    I know that there are hacks available to install a 802.11n MacPro card into a MBP, but I was looking for a USB or Expresscard device instead. Thanks.

- Doc

2. odehaymond macrumors newbie

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

what a rip off, you're better off with the hack. this price is simply ridiculous.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

eh

he's probably better off sticking with g, unless he's doing a lot of wirelessly video transfer.

5. mzungu macrumors newbie

what about this?

what about this enabler? I got it for free (its a shame we have to pay for this) at the Apple store in Argentina, I havent tried it yet since at home I've got a wifi-G but it should do the trick and ITS A LOT CHEAPER! :p

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D4141ZM/A?mco=36A3C0EC

Overview
    Please read this entire page before purchasing and installing this software.

Many Mac computers with an Intel Core 2 Duo and all Mac Pro computers with AirPort Extreme can be enabled to access 802.11n-based wireless networks. If you purchased one of these Macs, you can use the AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler software to activate this advanced wireless capability.

Important note: The Enabler is included free with the new AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n. If you purchase a new AirPort Extreme Base Station, you do not need to purchase the Enabler separately.
    These Macs have the 802.11n hardware built-in:

* MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo
    * MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo
    * Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme option
    * iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo (except the 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac)

Please make sure you have one of these Mac computers before purchasing the 802.11n Enabler software. It is not compatible with other Mac models.

Do you need the AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler?
    Before purchasing the 802.11n Enabler software, please check to make sure that your Mac does not already have the 802.11n enabler already installed.

* Open Network Utility (found in the Applications > Utilities folder)
    * Under the Info Tab, choose Network Interface (en1)
    * In the section "Model: Wireless Network Adapter," if it says (802.11a/b/g/n), you already have the 802.11n enabler installed. If it says (802.11a/b/g), you do not have the 802.11n enabler installed.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

This only works if you have a Core 2 Duo. Core Duo Macs can't use this since they don't have the actual hardware (AirPort Extreme). Core 2 Duos on the other hand do have the hardware but some have their N capabilities disabled by default (earlier models I believe). The enabler just lets you enable the N speeds. No hardware, no N speeds. That's just how it is.

7. mzungu macrumors newbie

ohh you are right, I thought this guy's got a C2D.. my bad..

"The enabler just lets you enable the N speeds. No hardware, no N speeds. That's just how it is."

what do you mean that just enables the N? I wont be able to use the wireless N higher speed and wider signal with my Macbook pro c2d ?

I'm buying a new wireless router N, since signal at home is crap, I hope I can fix this issue with it..

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Earlier Core 2 Duo Macs had "N" disabled. The cards would only function as B/G cards until you got an enabler. The newer ones have N enabled by default.

9. mzungu macrumors newbie

yes that was my case, I got my N disabled so I went to my local Apple Store and I got the file for free, so I guess my Macbook Pro got it enabled and I hope it works fine :) I'll tell you when I install my new router Linksys N tomorrow :p
    cheers.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

If you are running Leopard then you do not need the enabler, it has it already built in.

11. mzungu macrumors newbie

cheers brand, I'm using Tiger. Today I have setted up the Linksys N and it works perfecto.:apple::D:apple: