Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slipperyskates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
For older Mac laptops, would it work to add a third party 802.11n wireless card, so as to connect the the new Apple TV and Airport Extreme at higher speeds?

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
there have been alot of conflicts with various companies N wifi.

But Apple tv says it will work with g cards

sorry misread yer post....
hopefully apple will release new cards soon

chiefillini

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL.
:confused: So did we get an update for the C2D MBP to turn on the 802.11n yet??? I updated software this morning and noticed an update to aiport but since I have not done the updates in quite some time it could have been an old one.

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
The "N" update is on the CD that comes with the new Airport Extreme. I have not seen any other update available.

Matt...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I'm sure it'll eventually work with no problems, after the standard is set.

*eyes Expresscard slot on MBP CD*

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I'm sure it'll eventually work with no problems, after the standard is set.

*eyes Expresscard slot on MBP CD*
Apple is mixing implementations on various products, using Atheros chips in some units, and Broadcom chips in others. I don't think there have been any problems due to this and don't forsee any later.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Apple is mixing implementations on various products, using Atheros chips in some units, and Broadcom chips in others. I don't think there have been any problems due to this and don't forsee any later.

Apple also writes the driver and has not enabled the a nor n functions of the cards yet....

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Will the airport extreme router be compatible with the finalised 802.11n standard?

It is really lame how we all paid for the 802.11n cards in our computers but we have to pay some more to Apple to "unlock" it.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Will the airport extreme router be compatible with the finalised 802.11n standard?

It is really lame how we all paid for the 802.11n cards in our computers but we have to pay some more to Apple to "unlock" it.

That is the $64,000 question. In theory, yes it should be fine, but I am very wary of buying a draft N router of any brand right now since the standard could be changed enough that the current equipment may not work when the standard is ratified.

The expense and the uncertainty are enough to keep me away for now.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA

Perhaps a firmware update in the future will ensure adherence to the finalized n standard.

Actually, you only paid for the g standard because that's what was advertised at the time. Can we confirm that you indeed must purchase the new AE station in order to unlock the n capabilities? If so, that's indeed pretty lame.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Actually, you only paid for the g standard because that's what was advertised at the time. Can we confirm that you indeed must purchase the new AE station in order to unlock the n capabilities? If so, that's indeed pretty lame.

That is not true. No matter how you spin it ultimately the n cards costs Apple somewhat more than the g cards, and had they choose to stick with the lower cost g cards they'd have the option of "passing on the savings to the consumer" (yeah yeah...). At best all that can be said now is "buy another overpriced piece of kit from us to make your previously bought overpriced piece of kit somewhat less overpriced".

I will eat my words though if Apple releases some form of patch through the publicly accessible software update that unveils this capability.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
If somebody rips an ISO of this wireless enabler disc, can we use our macbook pros to connect to non-apple wireless routers? Windows under Bootcamp already uses the N card with my N router just fine.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
Yes and thats what Im hoping someone will do !!

P.S. Your card is connecting at G speeds under bootcamp. It will NOT connect at N speeds until the enabler software is run on the card.

If somebody rips an ISO of this wireless enabler disc, can we use our macbook pros to connect to non-apple wireless routers? Windows under Bootcamp already uses the N card with my N router just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.