802.11n

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TantalizedMind, Feb 16, 2008.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys.

I read comments on the Apple Store for the 802.11n enabler and saw that everyone said that they have seen way better connections since downloading it. Better bars in more parts of the house a few people mentioned.

Right now in my apartment I only receive signal in my bathroom and next to the kitchen sink. If I downloaded this, would the signal extend to other rooms or not necessarily?

Is the "n" only for certain signals, or is just means an upgraded way to pick up signals, or what? Thanks guys!

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It would help if we knew what kind of Mac you had.

3. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I use my gf's 1.83GHz / 512MB RAM CD MB. This thing is slow. I might buy a BlackBook tonight, still deciding.

4. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I think the enabler only works on C2D Macs... I'm not sure though...

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Buy more ram.

6. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

It's her MacBook, hehe. If I get a BlackBook I'm going to get 4GB RAM from OWC.

So now PLEASE answer my question if I had a C2D.

7. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

You already answered your own question:

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That has already been answered of your mac isn't on the list the enabler won't work. Also if you install leopard on the machine you won't need the enabler as it is included in leopard

9. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I believe he meant if he gets a C2D machine and had it N enabled, would he have improved reception in other parts of his house.

I'm not sure what the answer is actually, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let you know.

10. jeffmc macrumors 6502

Okay, the macbook with a 1.83 came in both the Core Duo, and the Core 2 Duo., which is why there is confusion. If you have the Core Duo there is no way utilize the enabler as the airport is an 802.11G card. If you have a Core 2 Duo running Tiger, you can use the upgrade. If you have a newer Core 2 Duo that came with Leopard, or you've upgraded the Tiger machine to Leopard, you already have this upgrade.

Furthermore, as obvious as it sounds it needs to be said:

You NEED a 802.11N router for this to make sense. The new airport extremes and the time capsule are 802.11N, there are a few third parties that produce them now as well.

Going a step further if you also add an iPhone to the network, or an older computer or if your neighbor steals your wireless signal. This upgrade is again pointless. Reason being is that your iPhone is 802.11G, many older macs/pcs are either 802.11G or 802.11B.

Both airport extreme and time capsules are capable of operating at any of these protocols, but can only do so one at a time. Meaning if you have two 802.11N computers on a network with an airport extreme, you're operating at 802.11N. Then let's say i come over and put my iPhone on your network, everything drops to 802.11G. One bad egg will ruin it for the rest of them.