Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Attachments

• IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 344

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
The patents cover wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption and are infringed by all Apple iPhone models shipped since the iPhone was introduced in 2007, Nokia said.

"By refusing to agree appropriate terms for Nokia's intellectual property, Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation," Ilkka Rahnasto, Vice President for Legal & Intellectual Property at Nokia, said in a statement.

I wonder if this means Nokia tried to work this out with Apple before hand, or if they went right to court...?

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
BBC Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8321058.stm

Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone maker, has said that it is suing its US rival Apple for infringing patents on mobile phone technology for the iPhone.

Nokia says it has not been compensated for its technology, and accused Apple of "trying to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation".

The ten alleged patent infringements involve wireless data, speech coding, security, and encryption.

Apple's shares dipped after news of the action broke.

Finland's Nokia said that it had agreements with about 40 firms - including most mobile phone handset makers - allowing them to use the firm's innovation, but that Apple had not done so.

"The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies who contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for," said Ilkka Rahnasto, Vice President, Legal &
Intellectual Property at Nokia.

"Apple is also expected to follow this principle."

He added that during the last two decades, Nokia had invested approximately 40bn euros (£36.2bn; $60bn) on research and development.

The action has been filed in the Federal District Court in Delaware.

I think Nokia's just jealous. ;)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Nokia Files iPhone-Related Suit Against Apple Regarding Wireless Patents

Nokia today announced that it is filing a lawsuit against Apple claiming that the iPhone infringes on ten Nokia-held patents related to cellular and Wi-Fi technologies.
The ten patents in suit relate to technologies fundamental to making devices which are compatible with one or more of the GSM, UMTS (3G WCDMA) and wireless LAN standards. The patents cover wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption and are infringed by all Apple iPhone models shipped since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.
Nokia notes that it has entered into licensing agreements for the intellectual property with approximately 40 other companies, but Apple has refused to agree to "appropriate terms".
"The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies who contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for," said Ilkka Rahnasto, Vice President, Legal & Intellectual Property at Nokia. "Apple is also expected to follow this principle. By refusing to agree appropriate terms for Nokia's intellectual property, Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation."
No further details regarding the exact patents in question or Nokia's desired outcome have been released.

Article Link: Nokia Files iPhone-Related Suit Against Apple Regarding Wireless Patents

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If Apple have indeed infringed on Nokia's patents then its time for Apple to pay up or remove the features from iPhone.

No special treatment for Apple required.

If you can't deliver a better product, sue...

Jeez

Nokia swings to $1.36 billion loss between July and September 2009
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/15/nokias.summer.hurt.by.poor.phone.sales/

Doesn't give a reason for Apple to rip off Nokia's patents...

That said,personally, I dislike Patents, particularly software patents.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Nokia is anything but desperate. Given how Apple does everything else, it's a lot more likely it has to grow up, act like a big boy and play nice with those who really did invent and perfect this stuff.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
So if Nokia would rather see the iPhone leave the market place then get royalties, what does that mean for Apple?

Where'd you see that?

A lawsuit on patents happens when a company DOESN'T license the patent.

Oh and:
nom_nom.gif

For the next 10 pages.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
if 40+ leading mobile phone makers would license from Nokia, why did apple think it can get away from this?

these type of old phone makers probably have massive amount of patents covering pretty much everything, its stupid if apple think it can just pay no attention to them.

I hope this time everybody go to court, settlement is so boring.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
If you can't deliver a better product, sue...

Jeez

Nokia swings to $1.36 billion loss between July and September 2009
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/15/nokias.summer.hurt.by.poor.phone.sales/

This isn't about who makes the better product, it's about IP rights.

I'm no expert, but it appears that Nokia owns a lot of IP tied to the way smartphones handle data. It looks like most (all?) other smartphone manufacturers license this IP from Nokia for a fee.

I don't know if this is a case of the iPhone handling this differently (though I don't see why it would be any different than any other smart phone) or Apple just being arrogant, but if it's the latter I think they're in for a lot of trouble...

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
With the amount of money they loosing, why wouldn't they want some of Apple's billions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.