Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
indeed. and perhaps you shouldn't be illegally downloading music in the first place....

the only way to get true lossless is to encode it directly from the CD...

and for an iPod Lossless not only kills your battery life, it also is pointless. the headphones you're likely to be using with your iPod will probably be a bigger factor in how it sounds than the bit rate on the iPod. even making 'em 192 or 320 AAC will see a much better result. and if you would rotate your movies instead of keeping them all on there that would help a bit too...

Lossless only mean that you don't lose anything from the original. So a lossless encoded from an MP3 sounds just like the mp3...encoded from a CD sounds just like a CD. So lossless is always "true lossless" in a sense.

Let's not forget though that CD's aren't at the top of audio quality. In the next few years we'll see much more impressive formats for music.

I agree with your point, though. I doubt with the amp on the iPod and the supplied headphones that somebody can really hear the difference, and it limits you to a fifth of the music or less, and it kills your battery life.

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
i have downloaded several lossless audio songs in .ape format from p2p, with CD quality they are aprox 3 times larger than 128kbps mp3

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
right. see, as one or two other people pointed out, an iPod is just ONE way of many to listen to your itunes library. any CDs i buy, i rip to lossless. they then get synced to my ipod. sure, i could convert them to aac, backup the lossless to dvd, and then use aac day-to-day, but jesus christ. my time is worth a **** load more than that. i accept that my 60gb ipod is practically full because my purchased music is in lossless. as i replace my "acquired" music with CD's (i consider downloading music like listening to a preview in a store or listening on the radio. i DO buy the albums eventually) i will rip them at lossless also. this way, as someone else said, when i listen to music on my home theatre it doesnt sound *****, and i dont need a 2nd copy.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Dads got a 1.*TB server Xserve, we have the new imac duo or whatever with 500gb inbuilt and 500gb external. I have all my songs and stuff on my 180gb comp.
I bet my dad can kick your dad's ass.

Kid, you're either spoiled, or you want us to think you're spoiled. Either way, there's something wrong in your life and I'm not professionally qualified to address. Consult a therapist before it gets serious.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
check bittorrent tracker sites... flac and ape are on the rise....

i remember back in the day when an mp3 was a large file on my 4.3gb hd!

with the 1TB seagates and hitachi's coming out, lossless will be the next mp3.

then it will all be gravvy on my 1TB ipod nano phone teleporter. :p

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
You filled an 80gig?? Thats just crazy....
Crazy in that he only has 80 GB? My home directory is 68 GB by itself ... I had to move it to an external drive because the internal wouldn't hold it. 68 GB is small potatoes from seeing other people on the forums though :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It doesn't take much to fill a hard drive. iTunes and movies don't take long to fill up the space.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Dads got a 1.*TB server Xserve, we have the new imac duo or whatever with 500gb inbuilt and 500gb external. I have all my songs and stuff on my 180gb comp.

I don't know why this thread was revived, but...

I don't think there's even any way to hook an Xserve RAID up to an iMac.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
Isn't keeping all those movies on your iPod sort of pointless?

I have an 80GB iPod that I typically keep about 4 or 5GB of videos on. That being said, my iTunes library has over 180GB of videos... I just transfer to my iPod when I know I'm going to be watching something specific.

yeah i have 8 starting to get bad

first and second gen 1gb shuffles
first gen nano 4gb and 1gb
sencond gen silver mini 4gb
first gen 5 gig
second gen nano 8gb
videopod 60 gig

Use my new Nano and VideoPod the most

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.