80GB Ipod or 1GB Shuffle, which should I buy?

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
I want to get another ipod so I can permanently store my nano in a nike+ armband.

80GB would allow me to free up a lot of disc space on my macbook pro as I would use it to store all my music(with a backup on an external). Also, videos would be great to have in between classes since I live about 30min. walk from some classes. But its expensive

The shuffle is small, will be easy to carry(just clips on) when I want to just go to class in soccer shorts and a tshirt and is very inexpensive. Yet ill still have the lack of space problem on my mac and no videos to keep me entertained between classes, but maybe I could study?

I am leaning towards the shuffle entirely for the expense issue as I am taking four trips around and out of the country in the next year and then will be studying abroad in Australia beginning next July.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I want to get another ipod so I can permanently store my nano in a nike+ armband.

80GB would allow me to free up a lot of disc space on my macbook pro as I would use it to store all my music(with a backup on an external). Also, videos would be great to have in between classes since I live about 30min. walk from some classes. But its expensive

The shuffle is small, will be easy to carry(just clips on) when I want to just go to class in soccer shorts and a tshirt and is very inexpensive. Yet ill still have the lack of space problem on my mac and no videos to keep me entertained between classes, but maybe I could study?

I am leaning towards the shuffle entirely for the expense issue as I am taking four trips around and out of the country in the next year and then will be studying abroad in Australia beginning next July.
If you got the shuffle you could get an upgrade to your macs hard drive?

Jan 30, 2006
I find myself using my shuffle much more than my 30GB iPod. I use it in the car (connect it to the stereo), when going to run, when bathing the dog, etc.

I only use the iPod (30GB) for long trips, since I find using it for videos a not very satisfying experience, the screen is just too small.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I picked up a refurb shuffle to hold me over until the new iPods come out. Your situation might be different since you have a nano already, but this way I'll have no buyer's remorse come September (if we get upgrades then!)

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
If you got the shuffle you could get an upgrade to your macs hard drive?
If it was easy to do I could but since my mac isnt under apple care and essential to my survival(at least thats how I perceive it :p ) I refuse to tinker with its insides and would have to pay a pro to do it which is around $380 for the kind of upgrade I would want(200GB 7200RPM).

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
If it was easy to do I could but since my mac isnt under apple care and essential to my survival(at least thats how I perceive it :p ) I refuse to tinker with its insides and would have to pay a pro to do it which is around $380 for the kind of upgrade I would want(200GB 7200RPM).
Oh, hmm... I might go with both! I don't really know, its a hard decision. Good luck either way.

the more I think about it, I think that maybe you should get the shuffle to wait for the new video to come out and then get that when you might have a little more money and you'd end up getting both.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Yeah, having both would be the way to go. I have them both and they each have their uses. Maybe just get a refurb shuffle and wait a little bit for your funds to get back up and maybe see a 6th gen soon.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Or you could wait for the *gasp* Shuffle Video. Seriously, I was in a situation similar to yours and decided rather than upgrade my 4G iPod, I'd just get a shuffle. Thinking back on it, it was a wise decision because my 4G iPod hasn't left my glove compartment and I primarily use my shuffle. It's so much lighter, smaller, and I just pre-load it with songs I'd like to listen for that day. I thought about getting the 30GB iPod but I came to the conclusion that I really wouldn't use it to watch videos anyway.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
If you have to buy right now then I say go with the Refurbished Shuffle since a full size iPod update is due any day now.. Plus if you want to upgrade then you are hardly out any cash :)

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Ok looks Im going with the shuffle and then maybe will pick up whatever the new ipod happens to be. Thanks for the help!