Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cinque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Here is a list of all of the features I would like to be add to the iPhone OS4.0 (Please post what else you would like to see...

1. Full Phone Call Multi-tasking

(Treat phone calls similar to how text messages are handled. On an incoming call, a notification pops up that shows the incoming caller and [Answer, Background Answer, Decline]
Background answer will allow you to talk but will put whatever you were working on before the call (pandora, GPS app, etc.) back in the foreground during the call. Double-click
the hard button to bring up the phone notification again to to hang up. Or go all the way back to the phone application. this
would keep battery issue to the minimum while fixing the primary issue people have with the lack of multi-tasking

Alternatively, allow 1 app to run in the background at any time.

2. Add Internet Radio functionality to Ipod App. (Pandora, AOL Radio, MLD at Bat...)
3. Add lyrics/social aspect to ipod app
4. Streamline ipod app (Look at Tunewiki as an example)
5. Add Categories app (a similar page to the search app, make it to the left of the search app) to ease application organization. Maybe the app would simply be category stacks....
6. Allow customization of lock screen: Allow most recent message, most recent email, current schedule appointments, etc. (Making it more like WinMo Today screen/ intelliscreen )
7. AVRCP bluetooth support ( I want forward and back on my headphones!)
8. External Flash app?

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
Maybe you should search. You know if you jailbreak you could probably have all those things already. But I do know some people are anal about jailbreaking.

Cinque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
I thought 3.1.2 had search built-in, it's to the left of your home page.

You're absolutely right about jailbreaking. It would add nearly all of the functionality I am talking about.

AND I'm anal about it.

Anything other features though?

NJMetsHero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Some sort of Widget-esque stuff on the lock-screen would be cool, maybe an ESPN bottom line etc. I'd like to see a native IM app, maybe mixed into messages. Like an iChat app or something.

Cinque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Whoops. Sorry I checked the first few pages and didn't see anything like this but didn't do a search. Sorry about that. If you want to just delete this thread or merge it with the other thats fine.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I would like Apple to bring back my iPhone's WiFi sensitivity back to what it was prior to 3.0. I used to be able to pickup my home WiFi from in my car outside in the driveway, but since 3.0 I can't anymore. Apple degraded the iPhone's sensitivity to detect WiFi signals for some reason. I hate it!

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
There's really nothing they can do besides completely copy some of the better jailbreak apps like Backgrounder, Winterboard, and Lockinfo

MinuteDreamer

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
There's not much that I want out of OS4.0 that I can't get out of jailbreaking. In fact, most of what I want out of OS4.0 is either allowing us to run jailbreaking apps and/or including features from jailbreaking.

Features:
- SBSSettings toggles
- Backgrounder (Multitasking)
- Orbits (Expose for iPhone)
- Winterboard (Themes)

The biggest thing I want (wishful thinking I know) is an option to allow us to specify an alternate non-apple app store. Basically, I want to be able to run non-apple approved software. I'm tired of BS like waiting for apple to approve software like Trillian, Google Voice, Shockwave Flash, and I think it's nonsense. I want to just be able to buy the software I want to use without Apple being the gatekeeper to it all, because they suck at it. I want to not need to jailbreak.

I think I'd be happy enough if when OS4.0 comes out that my phone is still jailbreakable, and unlockable.

Other than that, I'd like just general usability improvements to the iPhone. Like being able to read the entire name of a song, even if it's more than 80 characters. Or more than 11 home screens if I want that.

But in general, I'm happy with the OS, I just wish that Apple had less control over what I do with my iPhone. Hopefully Android will keep improving going forward so I don't need to put up with Apple anymore.

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Welcome to the Apple community - as soon as a major advance is made, people start whining about the next one :)

MMS is a "major advance"???? LOLzzzzzz

Welcome to the Apple community - as soon as a major advance is made, people start whining about the next one :)

MMS is a "major advance"???? LOLOLOL

Oh wait, I already know what the fanboys will say to my question: "It is for the iPhone. IT IS for the iPhone OK?!"

It's like when a mother of a mentally-handicapped 10th grader is talking to mothers of other children in his class, and she says "Little Billy just learned how to spell his name... That's a major development for Billy!"

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
+1. We need customizable themes besides the JBing option. And new wallpapers.

Seriously, do you really care? It always odd when I hear things like changing icons because it never works out right. There has to be someone who will make icons for all the apps in the App Store.

Is it really more important than:

-multitasking (alone that would be a huge rewrite of the OS)
-an better API for third party apps to communicate with each other
-an info panel on your lock screen
-better PNS system
-ability to do a web search from spotlight

I think there are far more important things to do than to skin an already georgeous OS with ugly wallpapers and custom icons for half of your apps.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think there are far more important things to do than to skin an already georgeous OS with ugly wallpapers and custom icons for half of your apps.

I want a Junk Filter syncable to my Mac, unified inbox and email folders for organization.

There are a lot of attractive themes and the majority come with overlays that make the apps you have icons for feel similar tot he theme's icons.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Like I said before a leaner OS (something like Snow Leopard) and a feature break. Make OS 4 an OS to fix what is working 1/2 of what it should.

The iPhone OS is not bloated. There's no PPC code in there to get rid of. I doubt they can make it much leaner than it is already... the iPhone and iPhone 3G just don't have enough RAM.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
i would like it somehow to put my pants on and drive me to work. thanks apple.

No no no you're thinking all wrong. You don't get it to drive TOwork you get it to drive you FROM the PUB!!! Now that would be awsome..

saying that why don't apple make an iCar or an iTruck to integrate with your iPhone and wireless network all the cars preventing accidents and making apple control where and when everybody goes anywhere.... mwa...mwahahahahahahahaha

sorry :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.