*82 and the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigjnyc, Aug 7, 2008.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hey guys my girlfriend has her number set to be blocked when she makes phone calls. But there are certain people in her phonebook that she would like to see her number when she calls. I just bought her the iphone 3G and transferred all her contacts over from her old moto SLVR

now on her Moto the contacts she wanted to see her number had *82 in front of their number, problem is she cant send text messages unless she types in their number which is hard to memorize all those numbers. The other solution is to set up a seperate number without the *82 just for texting these individuals.

My question is; is there any other solutions that i dont know about as far as having your number blocked but allowing certain people in your phonebook to see your number when you call?

2. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Your girlfriend has a lot of needs....who's she calling that she wants to show up as unknown.

I have a deadbeat uncle who calls us using Unkown. That way we can't ignore his calls...

Is your girlfriend a deadbeat? If not, tell her to stop being that annoying person who blocks their own number...

To answer your question, I have no idea if it can be done. I'm pretty sure that's a negatory. You might want to duplicate your contact list.

3. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

You could just have two different numbers in each contact. One number would be the one with *82 for calling, and the other without that for texting. Just add a new number and label it texting. It shouldn't significantly hinder her, since she's just have to remember to tap one or the other, depending on whether she's calling or texting.

4. SheryarYO macrumors newbie

I'm guessing you could put a *67 in front of all the numbers that you do want it to show up blocked on and not put the *67 in front of those numbers where you do want the number to show up. I'm guessing you won't be texting the numbers you want to show up blocked on so that wouldn't really be a problem and then you'd be able to text whoever you want.

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Can you even block your number when texting ?

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

No, you can't block numbers when texting.

I had a blocked cell number for over ten years, with most of my contacts having the *82 in front of their numbers. Now that I've moved to AT&T and have an unblocked number, I'm slowly getting rid of those prefixes.

But when I had them, I had to remove the *82 from in front when I texted. I don't think there's a good way for your gf to have her cake and eat it too. But if she wants to give up the blocked number altogether, there's a way to block (or unblock) her number for just certain calls, which is in Settings>Phone.

Your idea of two numbers (one for calling, one for texting) might be the simplest.

7. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

No she's not a deadbeat, if you must know she uses her phone for business and making work related phone calls. She works for a college and calls students all day and doesnt want them to have her personal number, instead of dialing *67 every time she just had AT&T block her number and uses *82 for personal contacts. So no she is not being that annoying person who calls people unknown, at least not her friends.

8. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah thats what she is doing right now, one number with *82 then i had her set up another number under pager or something for text messages. I was just making sure there wasnt another way of doing it that i was missing.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

most business people have 2 cell phones, one for work and one for personal. if it's that important, i don't see why she doesn't have two.

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't know about most, but I've worked in higher ed, and so do many of my friends. It's not unusual for a college/university to pay part or all of a cell phone bill, and that person would use it for both personal and business use. I much prefer that arrangement to carrying two phones.

And anyway, why do you have to see why she doesn't carry two phones? Obviously, she doesn't, and they're looking for a solution on this phone.

11. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

the college pays 75% of her bill, it was either that or carry around a company issued blackberry which she cant make personal calls on.... meaning she would have to lug around a blackberry and her personal phone. she opted for the 75% percent discount.

any more off-topic personal concerns not pertaining to the question i asked, and started this thread for in the first place?

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes.

1) You don't need to quote my post twice. I had one ON topic post. So actually, it was a off-topic personal concern. Notice concern isn't plural.
    2) It's a free forum. I have the right to suggest why she doesn't have 2 phones. If it was such a bad solution, you should of mentioned it in your first post.
    3) Lugging around a Blackberry is hard.

Done.

13. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

1) i only quoted your post once, another user quoted it, had nothing to do with me. Thanks for the english lesson, i was talking in general as there were other users with off-topic comments.

2) yeah it is a free forum thats why i chose to entertain your off-topic post and explain why she didnt use that solution. That solution has nothing to do with fixing the problem on the iphone itself. it wasn't relevant to my question which was strictly iphone related so i didnt mention it in my first post.

3) hard or not she doesnt want to do it, and i'm sure she is not the only person in the world that would find that cumbersome.

anything else?

14. georgeoommen macrumors regular

Since we're all being such pain in the a****, please also note its not "a off-topic personal concern" but "an off-topic personal concern".

15. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

...and to continue with the grammar policing, the second sentence should've read "If it was such a bad solution, you should have mentioned it in your first post."

Let's get back on topic now please.