Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiskah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
At the moment I am pushing my MBP quite hard by exporting ~2000 15mp images from Lightroom. This results in 6k/min fans. What worries me though is that lately I've noticed that the computer is getting insanely hot: The bottom of the laptop is literally untouchable as I'd get burns on my hand if I kept it there.

I am currently sitting at a table where there is a 5mm glass plate and a 3cm wood plate - and I can feel where the computer has been standing on the bottom of the table... Jesus? :)

Do I need to be worried when iStat tells me that my CPU is 82 degrees celsius?

It's a 2.16ghz MBP from the middle of 2006 if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 14.58.19.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 14.58.19.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,420

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If you had one of the newer ones, then your problem would most likely be worse- when gaming in Windows, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 pushes the fans to their absolute maximum of 7500RPM. It looks and sounds as if there is a hair dryer sitting in my Mac, blowing air across the desk. In face, it has so much power that it will blow papers off of my desk... Apple really needs to improve their cooling system and make it more efficient or less noisy.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
You shouldn't run your laptop at that temp! Use something like SMC fan control to up your fan speed manually. Apple often sacrifices temp for fan speed...Jobs would rather a quiet machine than a cool one, and I disagree with that.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
At the moment I am pushing my MBP quite hard by exporting ~2000 15mp images from Lightroom. This results in 6k/min fans. What worries me though is that lately I've noticed that the computer is getting insanely hot: The bottom of the laptop is literally untouchable as I'd get burns on my hand if I kept it there.

I am currently sitting at a table where there is a 5mm glass plate and a 3cm wood plate - and I can feel where the computer has been standing on the bottom of the table... Jesus? :)

Do I need to be worried when iStat tells me that my CPU is 82 degrees celsius?

It's a 2.16ghz MBP from the middle of 2006 if I remember correctly.

Maybe purchase one of those fan bases to put your MPB on? Just a suggestion.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Are people in these threads just making up safe-temp numbers now? Seriously, "91"? The exact number is different for every CPU model. Actually, I believe it is slightly different for each stepping of a given model. Not to mention, there are actually several "numbers" involved in the "too hot".

Let's leave it at this: Your CPU was designed by Intel to be physically incapable of overheating itself. Your MacBook Pro has a hardware fan controller that is designed to make sure your CPU does not have to test those design measures. Use your machine, and don't worry about it, although I'd recommend against 24/7 full load for any laptop. Not for the CPU itself, but the stuff around it. That usually fails first.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
You shouldn't run your laptop at that temp! Use something like SMC fan control to up your fan speed manually. Apple often sacrifices temp for fan speed...Jobs would rather a quiet machine than a cool one, and I disagree with that.
If you had bothered to read his post you would have seen that his fans are already running at 6k RPM. SMC fan control would have no effect. His CPU is within spec and it's fine to be at that temperature. There is no need to obsess with temperatures and fan speeds.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
yeah it can get that hot, seems like you are ok considering what you're doing. You can mess with the fan speed to start at certain temperature instead of whatever the default is, but for the most part it seems you are ok, hot but within reason.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008

Agreed, you need to download SMC fan control especially for heavy use. I turn it up to keep mine at around 70C during heavy use.

If you had bothered to read his post you would have seen that his fans are already running at 6k RPM. SMC fan control would have no effect. His CPU is within spec and it's fine to be at that temperature. There is no need to obsess with temperatures and fan speeds.

How do you know he's just not just looking at iStat Menu and reading the fan speed? Running SMC FanControl before the CPU gets hot will maintain it at a reasonable temp. Default fan settings can result in the fans kicking too late (i.e. when the CPU is hot as heck)

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Agreed, you need to download SMC fan control especially for heavy use. I turn it up to keep mine at around 70C during heavy use.

How do you know he's just not just looking at iStat Menu and reading the fan speed? Running SMC FanControl before the CPU gets hot will maintain it at a reasonable temp. Default fan settings can result in the fans kicking too late (i.e. when the CPU is hot as heck)
It's only "too late" if you're paranoid.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
It's only "too late" if you're paranoid.

Maybe, each situation can be different. A few years ago when I got a new MBP I was using Handbrake a lot and the temps would be sustained above 80C for extended periods. If your temps are only above 80C-90C for short periods, I would agree that it is not much of a problem.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Mine goes up to 101 all the time whenever I watch flash videos. According to the people at the retard bar, it's completely normal and within specs. Also, they say they don't acknowledge iStat or any other 3rd party apps for temperature readings.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Mine goes up to 101 all the time whenever I watch flash videos. According to the people at the retard bar, it's completely normal and within specs. Also, they say they don't acknowledge iStat or any other 3rd party apps for temperature readings.

There is a huge difference between 100F and 100C, so I'm not sure which one your talking about, or which one the Genius Bar thought you were talking about. You might want to check with Intel since they made the chip. 100C sustained on a regular basis will shorten the life of your CPU.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
There is a huge difference between 100F and 100C, so I'm not sure which one your talking about, or which one the Genius Bar thought you were talking about. You might want to check with Intel since they made the chip. 100C sustained on a regular basis will shorten the life of your CPU.

Celsius. I knew that and the genius bar knew it too. They still said it was in spec and refused to do anything. I'm just hoping I can cook this piece of **** laptop until it breaks BEFORE my warranty expires so they'll have to replace it. Of course, with my luck, it will fail like a week after the warranty expires and I'll be screwed. There's no way I'll be able to afford to buy a new laptop any time in the near future.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Celsius. I knew that and the genius bar knew it too. They still said it was in spec and refused to do anything. I'm just hoping I can cook this piece of **** laptop until it breaks BEFORE my warranty expires so they'll have to replace it. Of course, with my luck, it will fail like a week after the warranty expires and I'll be screwed. There's no way I'll be able to afford to buy a new laptop any time in the near future.
I've been trying to kill my Macbook with Handbrake since I got it. :p

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I have a 13" june 2009 mbp and I can run handbrake for hours and the temp will hold steady at 160-170F. This is what I do... Put the laptop up on half inch blocks. That gets more airflow to the bottom. Start smcfancontrol and set my fans to run at 5000 rpm. Now I start handbrake. I've run handbrake like this for 14 hours straight (queued up stuff) and the temps have held steady at the above range.

It's important to rev up those fans BEFORE you start your cpu intensive process. Waiting until the machine get hot before you ramp those fans up... doesn't get the job done.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I use Fan Control. Set the temps you want the fan to start ramping up and temp you want it to hit full speed, and then forget about it :)

I have mine set to start increasing fan speed at 55c and full speed at 70c.

Much better than apple's stock settings, I dont mind the noise.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Woah, mine gets up to 30 for flash vids... but 100....:eek:

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008

The retard bar..lol..Thats the way I feel with them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.