£835 repair bill one year after purchase

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
sorry for your experience, but it isn't everyone's experience.

i have 2 co-workers with the 2015 12" MB, and no problems. my 2016 MB is fine. the lesson really: applecare.
Ha, great, I'll buy an extended warranty on a machine from a company that has been praised for superior hardware. Really, the hardware and 'quality' is the only thing left in Apple's computer line. The OS is almost easily booted and used on anything, thanks to the wide spread of machines Apple has made. No, the lesson here isn't 'buy AppleCare', I'm not sure there IS a lesson to be learned, if OP really took care of the MacBook as he/she said they did, it should last them as long as a premium product should.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Just to provide additional info: I purchased the laptop from Amazon. I personally unwrapped the outer film and unboxed it myself. If Apple did not make the laptop I'd expect them to inform me so I can take the issue elsewhere.

When the symptoms first started I assumed I was out of warranty i.e. the space bar not responding and the laptop crashing (I thought it was the new OS Sierra update that was unstable and another update would soon fix it). Crash reports were submitted. I didn't have the opportunity to drop everything and run to the applestore. It failed to start on a Monday, by the time I took it in to the applestore on the Saturday they told me it was 10 days out of warranty.

Got a call from the applestore (Wednesday 7th Dec) informing me that I can pick up the laptop, unrepaired of course. If after 60 days it is not collected it becomes their property and ironically they will then scrap it - like it ain't scrap already !£&*%(

First time ever I've taken to forums to complain about any product. First time I've written an Amazon review.
I think you need to go to Amazon for the warranty, at least after the first year. I know that's how it is in Belgium at least. The store you buy it from has to offer 2 year warranty (in UK apparently up to 6), but in the first year you can also go to Apple because of the 1 year Applecare that's included. After the first year, it's the reseller that has to give you the warranty, in this case Amazon..

Reactions: tony_glasgow

Picapau21

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2015
Same thoughts here. I suspect we're not getting the full story. perhaps it's been damaged or wasn't purchased direct from Apple.

Apple offered me a no-cost repair on a 2+ year old machine outside of warranty cover. It was a very pleasant experience.
Agree, I have never had to pay for a repair on any apple product in or out of warranty when it was a manufacturing fault.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Ha, great, I'll buy an extended warranty on a machine from a company that has been praised for superior hardware. Really, the hardware and 'quality' is the only thing left in Apple's computer line. The OS is almost easily booted and used on anything, thanks to the wide spread of machines Apple has made. No, the lesson here isn't 'buy AppleCare', I'm not sure there IS a lesson to be learned, if OP really took care of the MacBook as he/she said they did, it should last them as long as a premium product should.
you're kidding right? things break, parts fail. the lesson IS applecare (or another 'extended warranty', at least). doesn't matter what car you drive, what tv you bought... things break. and better to be covered by a warranty, then to spend a lot of money on repairs.

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
For me, if I can't afford AppleCare.. I can't afford whatever apple product I am buying
[doublepost=1481306276][/doublepost]
AppleCare isn't an insurance on the mac, just an extended warranty. Also, you can buy AppleCare on amazon for nearly half price and register it yourself on apple's site, thus removing the premium.
Yeah I just checked Amazon and that isn't true.

Reactions: Maxx Power

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
For me, if I can't afford AppleCare.. I can't afford whatever apple product I am buying
[doublepost=1481306276][/doublepost]
Yeah I just checked Amazon and that isn't true.
if you can't afford a new apple product, there are refurbished or used ones, there are PCs, there are chrome OS laptops. if you DO buy a mac, one way or another, applecare is worth it (and you can add it any time within the first year). check ebay too; i got applecare for my macbook there at a pretty-good price.

really, weigh out the cost of applecare vs, for example, replacing the logicboard 2 years in...

Reactions: AdventurousJosh

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
if you can't afford a new apple product, there are refurbished or used ones, there are PCs, there are chrome OS laptops. if you DO buy a mac, one way or another, applecare is worth it (and you can add it any time within the first year). check ebay too; i got applecare for my macbook there at a pretty-good price.

really, weigh out the cost of applecare vs, for example, replacing the logicboard 2 years in...
Agreed. I got unlucky and my logic board failed on my rMB 2016 M7. Logic board repair cost was $600.
I paid $0.

AppleCare all day.

Reactions: fisherking

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
As you bought the Mac from Amazon, to claim under Sales of Good Act / Consumer Rights act, after the initial year warranty, you would have to go back to the place of purchase to initiate a claim.

Have a look online, you can sometimes find draft letters that you can edit to write to Amazon.

Good luck.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
you're kidding right? things break, parts fail. the lesson IS applecare (or another 'extended warranty', at least). doesn't matter what car you drive, what tv you bought... things break. and better to be covered by a warranty, then to spend a lot of money on repairs.
I've saved a lot of money by never getting applecare. It's just a matter of bad luck. For most people no applecare will always be cheaper in the long run, otherwise how would they make money on it. At least in eu you get 2 year warranty or more, which is fair enough on such expensive hardware.

Not saying you shouldn't get applecare, it's just a personal choice.

Reactions: deuxani and Queen6

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Both me and my sister have both had issues with our macbooks- my sister's went in for screen replacement (2015 mb), which she paid for after dropping it, and ended up coming away with a brand new 2016 mb after they said they had repair complications i.e they broke some internals (pretty sure thats the case).

I took my 2016 mb in after hearing a rattle inside. They took it out back, brought it back out after opening it and the trackpad and keyboard were dead. Had to leave it with them for a week to replace trackpad, keyboard and subsequently logic board. Collected...rattling still there- I was then told it's a normal occurrence as there's a part in the trackpad that needs to be allowed some degree of movement...fine...but why open it in the first place if that's the case!

I've always bought applecare on my macbooks as I know the cost of one repair bill is likely to be more than the cost of applecare. Still, 10 days out of warranty I'd expect them to honour a grace period, even if it's at their discretion

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Please help - how can I escalate a complaint beyond the first level customer support people and aim for Senior people who can deal with my issues without reading from a script???

Politely ask to speak to a supervisor. AppleCare employees don't have a "script" to read from.

Bought a Macbook 12inch Retina in Oct 2015. One year after purchase i.e. ten days out of warranty the laptop is dead. Apple Genius Bar have diagnosed the problems and now I have a £835.20 repair bill. Think carefully about buying Apple's new slim Macbook devices without extended warranty which sadly adds several hundred pounds/dollars to what is already a premium price. Apple market this laptop as it's first laptop with such leading-edge technology and I believe the experiment has failed. The components used are not sufficiently reliable to be assembled into several large units - when a component fails the larger unit needs replacing.

The space bar developed a known fault within the warranty period (but I could get by with the problem) - it has to be pressed hard at its center to register a space (tapping on its edges, as you'd naturally do, while typing fails). To fix this issue requires a complete replacement of the "Top Case with Keyboard". The "Logic Board, ETSI, 1.1GHz, 256 GB" must be replaced to solve the problem of the device not starting up or charging.

Repair Estimate: £835.20 Total

Price Item Number Description
£212.00 661-02243 Top Case with Keyboard, Space Gray
£415.00 661-02249 Logic Board, ETSI, 1.1GHz, 256 GB
£ 69.00 S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor
£139.20 VAT
£835.20 Total

What’s troubling, is Apple’s new Macbook Pro’s range that is based on the technology in the Macbook 12 inch Retina. This new range is very expensive and the product is not necessarily of high quality because of the recommended retail price. It will have the same repair issues as I have encountered with the 12 inch – significant components must be replaced at high costs in the event of failures.

When the laptop worked, it was beautiful. It has the mobility of a tablet with a beautifully laid out keyboard. However, I feel like a sucker for falling into the hype trap of Apple and at a lost as to what I can do next. I have left the laptop at the Genius Bar over the last two weeks (date now 26 Nov 2016) and refuse to pay for an extortionate repair bill after one year’s use. I have never dropped it; it has mostly been in a protective case and has hardly left my home. By the Genius Bar’s own admission the laptop requires two major components replaced. The repair person when I visited the store actually told me they do not like repairing the new laptops because they are difficult to diagnose.

Warning: be careful in purchasing Apple's new technology Macbook or Macbook Pro's (with slim butterfly keyboards). The technology is not sufficiently reliable to purchase without extended warranty. After a year of using a shiny new Apple laptop I am now using my old eight year old Sony NW20SF laptop I had hoped to have left behind.

Space bar problem:
https://www.macissues.com/2015/06/06/spacebars-malfunctioning-on-new-12-inch-macbooks/

Worth looking at the comments:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2404318/ifixit-apples-12in-macbook-is-near-impossible-to-repair
Is there a reason you're ignoring your consumer rights?

Reactions: duervo

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
As your in the UK you are covered by the Consumer Protection Act; tell Apple of your dissatisfaction, inform the store management that you will be following up your legal rights as consumer, stay calm & polite or it may be used against you. Best is to get in touch with your local citizens advice, they should be able to advise you.

<snip>

In your case I would be livid; as either Apple`s employee`s are clueless or Apple is deliberately trying to avoid it`s obligations, then again look at how Apple deals with tax...

Q-6
It comes back to my previous point. UK Consumer Law applies primarily to the retailer, not the manufacturer. The OP should be taking this up with Amazon. It wasn't purchased at an Apple Store.

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
I didn't buy AppleCare when I bought my 2016 rMB. I expect something this expensive to last more than a year with normal usage. I paid extra for the quality.

To be fair, any individual product or component can fail. It's not really an indication of the reliability of the product line or manufacturer. You need stats for that. I understand your feelings though, I would be upset to. Give Apple a chance to fix it for free and see how they respond. It's a known issue so I think they would fix it for free.

I miss the days when 3 years warranty was the standard :)

I would agree except my 2015 had all of the exact same issues the OP had. I had several screens, logic boards, and keyboards replaced. Oddly enough 12 days out of warranty my machine died as well. I agree with others about apple care as a necessity, though it feels counter intuitive on such a "premium" device. That said I have an extended warranty on my both of my mini coopers. Why, because they are historically problematic. I did not feel that way about apple products until this last two years or so. My 5 year old has a 12 year old iBook and that machine is bullet proof...

Furthermore I think time will tell, these machines seem to have a reoccurring theme of failing logic boards, and keyboards. It may take a little longer on some machines than others but I think we will start to see a lot of this in the forums this year for the 2015 rMB.

Reactions: poppy10

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I feel your pain. I had a problem with the keyboard (some keys getting stuck) so Apple replaced the top case when the laptop was within warranty. I'm now a few months out of warranty (forgot to buy AppleCare) and now I have a problem with the spacebar key. Apple gave me an estimate to replace the top case and the manager declined to do anything out of courtesy. Luckily I purchased the laptop on a credit card, so I'm covered, but I'm worried that I'll have to pay once the 2nd year is up for a faulty design.

Polarised

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
Sorry to hear about your nightmare.

I have been on the fence about buying a new Macbook or Macbook Pro to replace my ageing (mid 2009), but working 100% ok Macbook Pro with a 256 SSD and 8GB ram... I just wanted something lighter to go on holiday with ….

Apple computers used to be very reliable e.g. I have a ten year old iMac that still works perfectly with its origin HDD, so it is very disappointing to find out about these new versions being unreliable.

I have never bought Applecare either … everything just works and works. And still works.

Guess I will have to get a trolley for my 5lb lump..and I loved that Gold Color :)

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Apple computers used to be very reliable e.g. I have a ten year old iMac that still works perfectly with its origin HDD, so it is very disappointing to find out about these new versions being unreliable.
You can't compare notebooks to desktop computers.
A desktop PC usually isn't exposed to vibration or other force, isn't so slimmed down, is heating up much less and isn't glued/screwed together with a keyboard or display. If things like your keyboard or display fail, you won't blame your PC.

If I look at some company data, our notebooks have been over 500% more prone to failures than desktop computers, regardless of brand.

Another problem with notebooks and especially newer MacBooks, Surfaces etc. is, that if one part fails it will most likely require to replace half the machine. With desktops you just have to replace keyboard or drive or RAM or a fan. 12" MacBook: any electronics fail -> new logicboard, battery -> nearly entire case, any other hardware -> nearly entire case.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

As others already stated, you just happened to contact the wrong company for a replacement.
Contact Amazon's customer service and they will resolve the issue without any problem.

Emedan

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
I'm sorry to hear that. But consumer law claims are always made towards the reseller not the manufacturer. Apple will only take over these claims if the reseller is no longer in business

Contact Amazon and they will fix it for you without charge.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Likewise.

I always buy Applecare on my Apple computers, and, in common with @fisherking's experience, it has more than paid for itself over the years.
I do the opposite and would argue the same outcome :) I have the same principle for all my white-goods as well, if one dies beyond initial warranty I consider the cost offset against the insurance premiums I would have paid for all the devices as a whole.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I do the opposite and would argue the same outcome :) I have the same principle for all my white-goods as well, if one dies beyond initial warranty I consider the cost offset against the insurance premiums I would have paid for all the devices as a whole.
Well, not really.

In Europe, in general,we have reasonably good consumer protection legislation and protection. Anyway, I buy good quality (and quite expensive) white goods.

And - while I never considered an extended warranty before I switched to Apple, every Apple computer I have bought has had Applecare (and that Applecare has been used and has paid for itself in a number of cases; for the rest, it gives me peace of mind, as it allows me to assume that I will keep the computer for three years, and indeed, for the most part, Applecare has governed the timing of my purchases more than anything else).

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Also, you can buy AppleCare on amazon for nearly half price and register it yourself on apple's site, thus removing the premium.
I have only done this once, and when I tried to register it with Apple they found it was already registered to a previous owner. I think the seller was genuinely surprised and didn't hesitate to refund me, but now I always buy Applecare from Apple.

I have also decided I will always have Applecare, so will sell shortly before the three years cover are up. The risk of having a very big repair bill beyond three years is too great, although obviously very many MacBooks are fine (but not the new generation ones as none of them are three years old yet)

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Ouch.

Unfortunately I think Apple's stance on the consumer law / statutory rights thing is "k, take us to court then", knowing most people don't have the money or confidence to.

I would've been faced with a similar bill having discovered how fragile the LCDs are in the new MacBook Pros. Don't even know how, but mine ended up with a little crack in it that created lines across the display. Fortunately I had gadget insurance, as we can't get the new "Applecare+" for Macs in the UK (only iPhones) so it would've been deemed accidental damage at, on a cursory Google search, the tune of about £700.

Definitely pays to cover these expensive gadgets one way or another.

The downside of the third party insurance route is that also means third party repairers, voiding any Apple warranty.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
The A1534 12" 2015 Macbook drop like flies due to a U4700 fault which pulls down PP3V3R3V0_A0N. Replace and it'll work fine. They stopped using this in favor of integrating USB-C muxing/charge communication into CD3215 on the 2016 and newer models.

It is anyone's debate if this will happen with enough frequency to become another recall issue. I will say, that excluding GPus, Apple has not had a single-point-of-failure causing no power this extreme since the C7771 issue from 2008-2009.

It is anyone's guess whether Apple will wind up issuing an official recall for it. I imagine we will see as time goes on, depending on how many people speak up about it....

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017
sorry for your experience, but it isn't everyone's experience.

i have 2 co-workers with the 2015 12" MB, and no problems. my 2016 MB is fine. the lesson really: applecare.
IMHO, that is a moot point. Its NEVER going to be everyones experience. Even recalled automobiles that have potentially fatal flaws only penetrate 2-3% of market. When there is a problem that is consistent and reproducible, the N=1's of not having problems does not cancel out another persons experience.
[doublepost=1520659969][/doublepost]
applecare has saved me several times, but the best was last year; my (self-installed) hard drive died, i was well into the third year of applecare; they diagnosed it as the logic board, and replaced that. i got the macbook pro back, same problem. they apologized, and said they'd fix it for real, so, they replaced the drive AND the ram i had installed (they're not legally required to replace things i install). then they replaced the bottom casing as well (the backlight had faded somewhat on the keys). so, nearly a new mac. nice. applecare is SO worth it...
It was great when Apple Care lasted 3 years, but I think it is now 2 years? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: H2SO4