Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cephalus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
I guess am using the Early 2008 Black Macbook(model before the Aluminium model.)

I just checked the System Profiler and found something pretty interesting:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1033
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4874
Health Information:
Cycle count: 836
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1425
Voltage (mV): 11041

I usually drain my battery completely(like 8-9%) and then, charge it back up completely(100%.)

So, should I buy a new battery?! :confused:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
To determine if you need a new one, charge it up all the way, and see what % you get by dividing the charge remaining by the original capacity.

Alternatively, Coconut Battery will tell you all this as well.

Cephalus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Well does the battery work well, how many hours would you get from a typical charge?

With only Mail & Safari working and screen brightness at about 5 bars, I get an estimate of "4:30 (hours) remaining."

Should I do a concrete test with iTunes or Mplayer, and bring the charge down to 10% or so? :confused:

To determine if you need a new one, charge it up all the way, and see what % you get by dividing the charge remaining by the original capacity.

Alternatively, Coconut Battery will tell you all this as well.

I charged it up to 100% and checked with your Coconut Battery App(2.5.6): I got 96% for the Battery Capacity. 4852 mAh out of 5020 mAh.

837 Battery-Loadcycles.

Good, I guess?

Wtf you have a better battery capacity than my 3 week old whitebook
LOL. That's unfortunate man ;D

LOL! :p

i have 700 in 2 years so from the looks of it the macbook is your primary computer right?

Yeah. That's why I am worried; I don't want it to just stop working because of a minor battery problem.

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I have a mid 2007 whitebook as my main computer, and I only have like 140 cycles.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
If you're still at 96% of your original capacity, I don't see any reason to replace it, although it doesn't really hurt to have a spare battery.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
I have had my black macbook for 19 months and I am at 384 load cycles and my battery has 4889mAh out of the original 5020mAh. I have used my macbook as my primary computer for about 12 months and if you are getting around 4 hours of battery life then I say you should be okay. Throughout the life of my macbook I usually run it almost dead about 5% then charge it up and about once a week run it completely dead.. I also rarely leave it plugged in for more then 12 hours at a time and I don't charge it much in between full full chargers unless I absolutely have to. As a previous poster sighted coconut battery is a good lil app and I use istat pro widget. Also how can some of you that have had your macbook for 20 or so months have such low load cycles?

omikjam

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
My 7 month old macbook has 335 cycles.. You guys must be using your laptops as stationaries. :p Apparently mine also has a higher capacity now:

Current battery capactiy: 4166 mAh
Original battery capacity: 4100 mAh

Coconut Battery must be trippin'. :D

MML

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
My 7 month old macbook has 335 cycles.. You guys must be using your laptops as stationaries. :p Apparently mine also has a higher capacity now:

Current battery capactiy: 4166 mAh
Original battery capacity: 4100 mAh

Coconut Battery must be trippin'. :D

I have a similar scenario on my macbook, 2 years old next week, 300 cycles and coconut tells me i have 5118 mAh compared to 5020 mAh originally.

Does anyone know why this would be the case, does coconut have an + / - % error built in?

Andy

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm @ 801 cycles.

Check out the included photo with the info from system profiler.

My Mac on the battery will last a good 3-4 hours when i'm just typing away an essay with Pages.

Browsing the internet 2 hours.

Watching a movie, whether it be DVD, YouTube, Hulu: 1 hour 30 minutes.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 509

Cephalus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
My 7 month old macbook has 335 cycles.. You guys must be using your laptops as stationaries. :p

Now, that's an interesting statement. lol. :D

I have a similar scenario on my macbook, 2 years old next week, 300 cycles and coconut tells me i have 5118 mAh compared to 5020 mAh originally.

Does anyone know why this would be the case, does coconut have an + / - % error built in?

Andy

Doesn't seem possible. :eek:

But that would be so cool! :D

I'm @ 801 cycles.

Check out the included photo with the info from system profiler.

My Mac on the battery will last a good 3-4 hours when i'm just typing away an essay with Pages.

Browsing the internet 2 hours.

I guess you don't take it along for long journeys. :)

1.5 hours for a movie! Now, that must hurt.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

That doesn't really make any sense.

YouTube and Hulu use Adobe Flash and as such would drain the battery much faster than virtually anything else you can do in Mac OS X.

Playing a DVD with Apple's DVD Player should result in the battery lasting much, much longer.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
That doesn't really make any sense.

YouTube and Hulu use Adobe Flash and as such would drain the battery much faster than virtually anything else you can do in Mac OS X.

Playing a DVD with Apple's DVD Player should result in the battery lasting much, much longer.

Not really...

Spinning the optical drive uses a LOT of power. My old G4 iBook would do ~3.5-4hrs on a charge of normal use, but only 1.5hrs of DVD playback.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I'm not even at 85 cycles and my battery is down to 91%. The notebook is only 10 months old too :(

YouTube will kill the battery your Mac notebook, and so will playing a DVD...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I can easily get 2 hours+ of DVD playback from my MacBook and that includes fiddling with settings etc.

With BBC iPlayer running (very similar to Hulu) Safari uses ~90% of the CPU and that's on the lower quality that they offer.

DVD Player uses about 30% at most.

Flash really doesn't do anything for battery consumption!

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Now, that's an interesting statement. lol. :D

Doesn't seem possible. :eek:

But that would be so cool! :D

I guess you don't take it along for long journeys. :)

1.5 hours for a movie! Now, that must hurt.

You know, the thing that sucks is that I do take it on long journeys. For example, right now i've carried my mac in my incase backpack with me all day, its almost 8pm here in So Cal. Battery is draining fast; good 15 minutes left. Ran into my cousin and i'm t his place now charging it.

I live about 30 miles away from where everything happens at night so i'll probably chill out here, let my mac charge and then hang out with my friends.

2 things I don't like about carrying my mac:

1st: the new macs have 7 hours of battery, which make my mac feel like a lame @ss begging for better life.

2nd: the size. I could get just as much done with an iPod Touch and would not have to carry a big old macbook in my incase backpack everywhere.

Iono, that's my rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.