83gb vs. 222gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applelost, Sep 2, 2015.

1. applelost macrumors newbie

Greetings, I'm having a small conundrum and would appreciate any glimpses of hope. Screenshot attached.

I have a macbook pro, 500gb hd. "About This Mac" shows only 83gb of free space when in reality I have 222gb available (as seen on my Macintosh HD Info" window).

It seems my macbook also perceives there to only be 83gb of free storage, as it has informed me I don't have enough free space to copy approx 100gb of media files which I need to move over to my mac. Drats.

Any help would be splendid, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Try restarting, you might be using your hard drive as a scratch disk. This is like RAM, it is temporary.

3. applelost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, unfortunately I already tried that to no avail.

4. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I would say trash, but you probably tried that too. Try using DaisyDisk http://www.daisydiskapp.com to evaluate what is taking the space up.

5. applelost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link, great idea, I'll let you know how that goes...

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Add the 139 GB of "Backups" to your space free (about 80 GB), and you, not coincidentally, get a total of about 220 GB, which is what the Finder is showing as free space.
    You are showing 139GB of "backups", which is likely if you have Time Machine enabled, but no backup drive attached. Your Time Machine backups will pile up on your hard drive until you run out of space completely.
    You can either attach your normal Time Machine external volume, and let Time Machine do its own work. That will clear out that space.
    Or, you may have a lot of space used by iOS device backups (is that a possibility for you, too?)

The Daisy Disk utility will likely help you decide what is using that space, too...

7. applelost thread starter macrumors newbie

Here were the results form daisydisk (4 screenshots attached). What do you make of the "hidden space" as well as the "SC Info" results? I just read online that SC Info has to do with iTunes library authorization but I store all of my iTunes files (including the library file) on an external drive and boot from there.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      347.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      340.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      308.3 KB
      Views:
  8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your spotlight index has become corrupted, it's a common and well known issue.

In spotlight, remove macintosh HD from it with the minus sign, then add it back in. It'll reindex the whole drive which should then show up correctly in About This Mac.

9. applelost thread starter macrumors newbie

Much appreciated snaky69. Sorry I'm not very mac savvy what steps do I need to follow to do this?
    >In spotlight, remove macintosh HD from it with the minus sign, then add it back in

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The storage screen includes backups, but the disk utility/finder does not count backups on the disk. This is because backups are automatically deleted as free space decreases.

11. applelost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone, I reindexed the drive and it worked! :)