Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applelost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Greetings, I'm having a small conundrum and would appreciate any glimpses of hope. Screenshot attached.

I have a macbook pro, 500gb hd. "About This Mac" shows only 83gb of free space when in reality I have 222gb available (as seen on my Macintosh HD Info" window).

It seems my macbook also perceives there to only be 83gb of free storage, as it has informed me I don't have enough free space to copy approx 100gb of media files which I need to move over to my mac. Drats.

Any help would be splendid, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    89 KB · Views: 68

applelost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion Alex, unfortunately I already tried that to no avail.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Add the 139 GB of "Backups" to your space free (about 80 GB), and you, not coincidentally, get a total of about 220 GB, which is what the Finder is showing as free space.
You are showing 139GB of "backups", which is likely if you have Time Machine enabled, but no backup drive attached. Your Time Machine backups will pile up on your hard drive until you run out of space completely.
You can either attach your normal Time Machine external volume, and let Time Machine do its own work. That will clear out that space.
Or, you may have a lot of space used by iOS device backups (is that a possibility for you, too?)

The Daisy Disk utility will likely help you decide what is using that space, too...

applelost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Here were the results form daisydisk (4 screenshots attached). What do you make of the "hidden space" as well as the "SC Info" results? I just read online that SC Info has to do with iTunes library authorization but I store all of my iTunes files (including the library file) on an external drive and boot from there.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.png
    2.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.png
    3.png
    340.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.png
    4.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 51

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Here were the results form daisydisk (4 screenshots attached). What do you make of the "hidden space" as well as the "SC Info" results? I just read online that SC Info has to do with iTunes library authorization but I store all of my iTunes files (including the library file) on an external drive and boot from there.
Your spotlight index has become corrupted, it's a common and well known issue.

In spotlight, remove macintosh HD from it with the minus sign, then add it back in. It'll reindex the whole drive which should then show up correctly in About This Mac.

applelost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Much appreciated snaky69. Sorry I'm not very mac savvy what steps do I need to follow to do this?
>In spotlight, remove macintosh HD from it with the minus sign, then add it back in

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Greetings, I'm having a small conundrum and would appreciate any glimpses of hope. Screenshot attached.

I have a macbook pro, 500gb hd. "About This Mac" shows only 83gb of free space when in reality I have 222gb available (as seen on my Macintosh HD Info" window).

It seems my macbook also perceives there to only be 83gb of free storage, as it has informed me I don't have enough free space to copy approx 100gb of media files which I need to move over to my mac. Drats.

Any help would be splendid, thanks in advance.

The storage screen includes backups, but the disk utility/finder does not count backups on the disk. This is because backups are automatically deleted as free space decreases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.