84 year old needs advice on what iPhone to get

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iluvbeer99, Dec 17, 2011.

1. iluvbeer99 macrumors member

I am still sane, or at least I think so. My grandson wants me to get an iPhone so we can do some messaging thing, but I'd rather not buy into a 2yr contract as life is short, especially for someone in their 80's.

Is the iphone3 that I can get for nothing ok? I don't surf internets but want to message me grandson.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

3. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I'd guess your grandson is referring to FaceTime; that's the only iPhone-only messaging feature. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure FaceTime requires an iPhone 4 or better.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you just want texting, any phone can do it. If you want an Iphone, then my recommendation is to get a 2G or 3G which you can still find on your local craigslist dirt cheap.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would go with the 3GS.
    You can use imessages between iphones and save on texting and MMS charges.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note: If your grandson wants to use either iMessage or FaceTime with you while you are home and you have WiFi you can consider an iPod touch instead. No need for a monthly fee.

B

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hey!
    Congrats on getting an iPhone at that age- very impressive.
    What I would do if I were you (and could afford it) would be to get an iPhone 4, wether it be used or new off contract.
    With iMessage you could send him (assuming he has ipad, iPod touch, or iPhone) for free. (Free text messages woo!) you could also do that an an iPhone 3gs
    FaceTime would be another major plus- free and easy video calling with your son so maybe you can see your grandkids? (This is only on 4 or newer) It also has a great camera.

I honestly doubt you would notice a difference between the 4 and the 4s

Hope I helped