Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
I'm surprised the bot didn't pick this up, but Zinio launched their own iPhone app yesterday. The app allows you to purchase and read magazines distributed by Zinio -- right now that number is about a dozen, though I expect they are working on filling their library asap . Full news and review here if you are interested. Their launch press release is dated January 11th so many they may have leaked the news late Friday not expecting people to notice until Monday morning (speed of the web, and all that).

It's not a bad start, though I think many iPhone users used to the way Safari works will be disappointed in some of the way the zoom works. Also, it seems obvious that Zinio didn't work closely with their publishers because the two sample magazines available don't seem to be customized for the reader (though I may be wrong since I only downloaded the PC Magazine issue). There are no embedded links or multimedia like the Sports Illustrated tablet demo.

The app is free so there is no harm in trying it out (disclosure: I have no connection to Zinio in any way).

The most important thing about the app is that it is yet another example of a company that realizes that they must make magazine content available in many different forms. Zinio deserves credit for their commitment to making the content available on the iPhone. I would expect Zinio to be one of the first companies porting their products to any new Apple tablet. Of course, Zinio has a financial stake in all of this since they sell the magazines online.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I used a few Zinio magazines when my iBook came with some trial subscriptions back in 2003. I actually thought they did a pretty nice job with content. But they've really languished in the interim six years. Their selection is not bad, although in places it's a little quirky (for instance, they only have the French edition of GQ, and not the US English version -- but then GQ has chosen an even odder mechanism of releasing individual iPhone apps for its issues, starting in December, for $2.99/ea).

Who knows? Maybe the app emphasis on the iPhone and the onslaught of tablets of various kinds in 2010 may help them recover.

ksundar

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Not in India?

Unfortunately,it is not available in Indian Store at present!

Hope we'll get soon!:confused:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
This product positions Zinio to be the magazine provider for the tablet devices. They already have the subscription model in place. The only component lacking on iPhone is the pictures are wasted in Car & Driver on that tiny screen.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I use Zinio to get my copies of The Hockey News. Can anyone verify if I can sync publications that are on my desktop with the app?

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
I use Zinio to get my copies of The Hockey News. Can anyone verify if I can sync publications that are on my desktop with the app?

I doubt it, but it does bring up a good question: if you buy the magazine in one Zinio format, will the purchase be good for another? In other words, would the purchase of one format essentially give you access to the magazine issue on all Zinio formats?

For now I would imagine the answer might be "no" -- but if they are smart they will add this feature to encourage users, especially if tablet/reader versions become available in the future.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
maybe we can??

Attachments

• maybe we can.jpg
    maybe we can.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 114

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
if you buy the magazine in one Zinio format, will the purchase be good for another? In other words, would the purchase of one format essentially give you access to the magazine issue on all Zinio formats?
I think that the answer to this is yes.

I just DL'ed the Zinio app and my PC Magazine subscription appeared automatically.

However, others did not such as MacUser, MacWorld, etc.

When I clicked on the "Missing some titles?" button, I received the following dialog:

You may notice that not all of your publications show up in the Zinio iPhone application. We are still translating the thousands of titles in our library to the iPhone. You will see them appear as they become available.

Edit: It works both ways it seems. I just subscribed to PopularMechanics on my iPhone. When I went to my Mac, download manager automatically downloaded it.

Very nice. Glad to see Zinio on the iPhone platform. Great for commutes.

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
sushi, that's great, I didn't think they had taken it this far.

You should be able to access more of your subscriptions as time goes on. I imagine that they will rush to convert as many magazines as possible, as quickly as possible, if a lot of people download the app.

The other key will be updating the app regularly. There have been a number of apps that were merely OK at first but have improved greatly over time.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
sushi, that's great, I didn't think they had taken it this far.
I've really enjoyed using Zinio reader on my MBP15. So easy to read magazines that way. Convenient. No paper waste. And if I need a page or two, I can print.

You should be able to access more of your subscriptions as time goes on. I imagine that they will rush to convert as many magazines as possible, as quickly as possible, if a lot of people download the app.
I am sure that will be true.

Go with the magazines with the most demand which they have data based upon the desktop version.

The other key will be updating the app regularly. There have been a number of apps that were merely OK at first but have improved greatly over time.
It seems that the iPhone version is very polished for an initial release.

They are up to version 3 on the desktop so I would expect them to keep their iPhone app up to date as well.

Nice app. I wish they had more magazines, but i am guessing they will be available shortly
Already seen a couple added since yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.