Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
So a little while ago I tried to backup my iPhone to my computer and got a message that I didn't have enough space on my computer. I went to check the storage and I only had 8GB left of free space. Odd since I hardly have anything other than music. Anyway, I opened up disk utility and saw, aside from my Sierra partition, I had an "Untitled" partition taking up 84GB. There's nothing there other than in the "other" section. I'm wondering if it's ok for me to delete this. I also just deleted the Sierra partition since I found I don't use it as often as I thought I would be. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 2.40.26 PM.png

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So a little while ago I tried to backup my iPhone to my computer and got a message that I didn't have enough space on my computer. I went to check the storage and I only had 8GB left of free space. Odd since I hardly have anything other than music. Anyway, I opened up disk utility and saw, aside from my Sierra partition, I had an "Untitled" partition taking up 84GB. There's nothing there other than in the "other" section. I'm wondering if it's ok for me to delete this. I also just deleted the Sierra partition since I found I don't use it as often as I thought I would be. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. View attachment 643899

Yep, it's fine to delete. :)

Reactions: forza69

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyway, I opened up disk utility and saw, aside from my Sierra partition, I had an "Untitled" partition taking up 84GB.

Just deleting that volume won't get you the space back on the main, Macintosh HD volume. After you delete Untitled you need to expand the Macintosh HD volume to fill that unused space. This will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.