854.4mb of other??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oftheheavens, Sep 14, 2008.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i have 854.4mb of "other" is that normal? the orange bar is like half the length of my music bar and i have like 4g of music. Is the amount of other normal?

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

For the love of Pete, SEARCH this issue/Topic has been beat to death.
    Yes this is normal, it is believed to be Apps, Album art, OS, web cache, cookies, etc etc

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

except in 2.1, apps are not included in other anymore

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

It depends if you have updated to 2.1 or not. If you haven't then it could be a lot of Apps that you have installed plus other things suggested above (OS, cache etc). If you have updated to 2.1 where Apps are seperate from Other, then over 800mb seems way to high. I would restore the iPhone in this case and start fresh.

5. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

6. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

850mb does seem a bit high. I've currently got 226mb of "other," however, my phone is barely a month old. Restore sounds like a good idea.

edit: this is with 2.1 of course

7. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Do you have any photo editing apps maybe that crashed or something on the iPhone? I wonder if those kinds of apps have data that falls under other and wasn't cleaned up properly.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

I had the same problem a few months ago and I decided that it was because I was syncing movies.

I had a lot of movies that I had taken and put on my computer that auto synced to my iPhone. They were unplayable on the iPhone so I didn't realize they were on there. Finally I went to investigate what all this 'other' was and I saw all of those movies in iTunes. Once I unchecked them my 'other' went away.

9. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

i hope you feel like as much of a jerk as you are, i didnt ask you about my broken speaker did i?

It is 2.1 so the apps are in there on section. I guess i will try a restore. thanks to those who gave actual answers.

10. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Nope I'm a prick not a jerk :D
    No, you asked about 'other' data on the iPhone, which has at least 2 if not 3 threads on MacRmors alone. I'm sure the Apple forums has at least that many.
    YOU didn't specify which firmware you were using.
    Being most if not all responses after mine confirmed what I said....