85W Magsafe Power Adapter broke, will apple cover it? (sort of)

Some Guy 555

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I have attached a the picture of what is wrong. Basically one of the 2 "extendable clips" on the adapter for wrapping the cord around broke off... for no reason at all. I just flipped it open, and it fell off :eek:

Anyone here had a past experience with this? If so, did apple fix it, or replace it for free (supposing that you are within warranty).

I am still within warranty.

Attachments

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I doubt they would something like that, but there is no harm in trying.

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I have attached a the picture of what is wrong. Basically one of the 2 "extendable clips" on the adapter for wrapping the cord around broke off... for no reason at all. I just flipped it open, and it fell off :eek:

Anyone here had a past experience with this? If so, did apple fix it, or replace it for free (supposing that you are within warranty).

I am still within warranty.
Those are one of the many bad designs from apple. I never understand why those were there in the first place. I have had friends with MB /MBP and the tabs break after normal use.

You can give Apple a call and see what happens.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
No harm it speaking with someone at your local Apple store. In the event that they will not issue you a replacement, I purchased a refurbished one for traveling at OWC (macsales) at a good price. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.