85W Magsafe 'safe' for MB Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by twynne, Mar 16, 2008.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know (definitively) if the older 85W power supply for the MBP can be used with the Air? I have a spare (latest/smallest version) purchased for my MBP and I'm just wondering if I can use it as a spare safely?

Thanks,

Tom

2. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Incidentally I have found this post over in Apple discussions, but it still doesn't seem like a definitive answer to me. Does anyone know or have a link to anything that confirms Apple's position on this?

3. pstauff macrumors newbie

I am waiting for more feedback and possibly for an official answer before trying it on mine. I have a MacBook 65w adaptor I can use. I would like to speed up my charge time, but I don't want to damage my battery. At this point it doesn't seem like it will, but I am waiting for more information to come out.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I have been using one of ea. (MBA-MB-MBP) chargers on my Air for over a month and while it hasn't caused any damage whatsoever, it certainly hasn't changed the charge time either.

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, it's fine I've done it. The amount on current is based on how much the MBA requires, it won't overcharge the MBA or change the amount of charge time.

You won't be able to sit the MBA flat on a surface with the old plug, but other than that it's fine.