85w MBP charger: Faster Charging Time with MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pacer69, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Pacer69 macrumors member

Coming from a PowerBook 1.67 I notice that my 2.4 MacBook charges MUCH more slowly. I know an 85w (MBP) charger will work fine with my MB, just wondering if it will improve charging time. Anyone experimented with this? Thanks.

2. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I am also curious on this matter. I have thought of it but my first concern would be overpowering the machine or battery and assumed that would hurt it. Would it instead charge faster and not hurt the computer or battery at all?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It won't charge any faster. The adapter will only provide the power the machine needs to draw.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Anyone try a MacBook Air charger on a MacBook? I know it likely wont power and charge simultaneously, but it might be nice to have the space/weight savings in a laptop bag. Anyone?

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

The Mag Safe connectors are different. I don't think it will even stay in place. Also, the power adaptor for the Air is 45W, the MB is 60W and the MBP is 85W. So, I don't think it will even provide adequate power for a MB.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It should charge the battery and keep enough power to keep it running. It will not, however, be able to power the macbook without a battery installed.

7. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

The only difference with the MBA connector is that the cable comes out sideways so that it will work with the downward-facing power port on the MBA. You can use a MB or MBP adapter if the MBA is raised above the surface.

8. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I read that the MB will slow the processor when running with the 60w brick if you're not connected to the battery. Would it run at full speed with the 85w brick?