86% battery life shuts macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotty96LSC, Mar 2, 2010.

1. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have a 3.5 year old macbook pro. Seems that when I'm using the battery, which is rare, the mbp shutsdown when the battery gets down between 86-89% charged. When plugged into the wall no problems.
    I have tried all these things from this earlier thread, but still won't stay booted.
    Bad battery? The battery is about a year old.

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

1 year shouldn't have done anything to the battery.

What does coconutbattery say about the battery health?

And/or what does About this Mac > More Info > Power say under
    - Full charge capacity
    - Health information

(hint - you should be looking for >5000 mAh capacity depending on model and "Normal" health)

When you plug the charger in does the AC Charger info down at the bottom say sensible things about charging & connected?

3. scotty96LSC thread starter macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

All looks normal to me for a 1-year battery.
    •Current battery charge 4111
    •Max battery charge 4151
    •Current capacity 4151
    •64 load cycles
    •75 percent of orginal battery
    •40 month old mac

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

Weird, could be bad battery but it's had an easy life so far

What about voltage, should be 12500-12600 mV when fully charged & disconnected from the plug for a couple of minutes. You will have to refresh System Profiler - cmd-R.

As you run it down to the 86% or whatever shutdown point, does the battery voltage drop a lot? At 86% the voltage should still be really near 12500.

If it drops a lot below 10000 I bet that the Mac or the battery logic will stop delivering mA (switch the machine off) to save the battery from "deep discharge" which can kill Li-poly batteries (apparently) -> see link below

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm
    "Extreme low voltage must also be prevented. The safety circuit is designed to cut off the current path if the battery is inadvertently discharged below 2.50V/cell."

Most of the Macs I have come across have 3 cells in series to make 12.6 V when fully charged, so this lower limit will be 2.5 x 3 or 7.5 V (7500 mV)

5. scotty96LSC thread starter macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

After a couple of minutes and disconnected from the power here is what I get:
    [​IMG]

6. Pax macrumors 6502a

I think "check battery" is an Apple euphemism for "your battery is toast"
    Sorry

The voltage is quite low, 11800 when nearly full. My nearly new battery is about 12500. I bet it drops like crazy.

Just out of interest, was it an Apple branded battery? or a copy? What happened to the original battery? (you said the Mac is older than the battery)

7. scotty96LSC thread starter macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

An apple battery. The original battery would only last about 30 minutes so I got a new one. No biggie, I will get the old company credit card out and snag a new battery from Apple. Thanks for the help.

8. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Sounds like a bad battery. I've had two similar cases though not with quite that level of charge. It would get down to something like a little less than half discharged and suddenly the machine was dead. Sudden death while the battery still seems to have charge looks like a symptom of an end-of-life battery.