8600 graphics question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grooveattack, Jan 19, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

hey all. i am going to buy a MBP in the first week of feb ( update or no update ) and i want to know what the difference is if i had 128MB of SDRAM for the graphics card or 256MB? what would the noticeable difference be? what does it affect?
    cheers :D

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

5% faster for 20% more money so if the graphics card is the only big factor for you, you may be better off saving your money. However, more modern games will probably get a bigger difference, possibly as much as 10% but again nothing too major, more VRAM means it can store more textures etc.

3. prism macrumors 6502a

The barefeats comarison is totally misleading not only because it tests the games in the MacOS environment (which is far from being optimized for games) but also because the games it tests are totally outdated.
    It is true that for older games (up to DX9) it shouldnt make a big difference, but for modern games (COD4, Bioshock, UT3 etc) it makes a huge difference. You can test this with 3DMark'06, with default settings you get something like a 1000+ point difference!!!

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I did mention that modern games would have a bigger difference, but I wouldn't trust 3D Mark '06 for showing modern games comparisons. I've seen a low-end MBP run CoD4 buttery smooth at high settings anyway, so I know the low-end model is still a capable machine.