8600m GT vs Intel 3000? (Adobe Premiere, lightweight editing)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DFD, Feb 23, 2011.

1. DFD macrumors newbie

Just wondering what kind of video editing performance increase or hit I might expect going from NVIDIA's 8600m GT (early 2008 MBP) to the supposed Intel 3000 chipset set to be released tomorrow. I use Adobe Premiere and occasionally work with 720p files. This is what will make or break my decision to purchase an updated model, and, because I'm purchasing new anyway, I am at no loss whatsoever going with last year's model.

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

The GPU isn't as important as the CPU for video editing. But the strength of the MBP GPU's goes as follows(assuming this leaked 13" is a MBP and not a MB):

NVIDIA 330M > NVIDIA 9600M > NVIDIA 8600M > NVIDIA 320M > Intel HD 3000 > NVIDIA 9400M = ATI X1600

It shouldn't be that big of a hit, and you'll likely benefit more from the better processor in the new MBP's.

3. DFD thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

I wish I could help you my friend but I am afraid nobody will know untill we see the performance numbers out in the field.

Intel is notorious for releasing the ********* possible effort for a video driver and then calling it a day for the entire generation. Though Apple usually writes its own video drivers, they rely heavily on manufacturer documention and engineers for help and support.

I believe its highly dependent on the effort Apple/Intel puts into this products driver.

5. Lawney macrumors newbie

Well, as you probably know, Premiere CS5 has that awesome Mercury playback engine, and the entire program is affected by compatible NVIDIA cards. I don't use Premiere, but I have toyed with it a bit. The supported cards for GPU acceleration are:

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
    GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
    Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
    Quadro 5000 (Windows)
    Quadro 5000M (Windows)
    Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
    Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
    Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
    Quadro CX

That said, I don't know how much your 8600m GT was actually doing. Hopefully someone can hop onboard and explain it a bit more thoroughly, but with an incompatible graphics card already (for gpu acceleration, anyway), I would bet that the processor upgrade would only boost productivity.