867 Mhz 12" G4 Coming in!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JohnnyH1012, May 2, 2015.

1. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

So I just bought myself my first PowerBook G4, after my iBook G3's screen gave way :( , but I'm excited none the less.

It is shipping with a clean version of Tiger, and is equipped with the max 1.12 GB of ram, but I am wondering if I should upgrade it to leopard or not. I have seen several owners on other forums say it runs particularly slow, and that Tiger is the best way to go. Any opinions?

Edit: It should arrive Tuesday - Wednesday this week.

Attached Files:

• $_57.JPG
      $_57.JPG
      File size:
      150.2 KB
      Views:
  2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Leopard always gets a bad rap for speed but that's because nobody bothers to optimize it. Turn off the eye candy and it does very well on systems with 1GB of ram or more.

I've run it and do run it well on systems with much lower specs than your Mac. You'll be fine.

3. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Leopard runs fine on these PowerBooks - I have an identical one. I'd definitely recommend fitting an mSATA SSD though, they're not particularly expensive and bring about a number of benefits (better battery life, no noise, no moving parts, and of course better read/write times).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1852723

4. JohnnyH1012 thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear that it can run well with optimizations. Do you have a thread with what needs to be done?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can't give you a link right now but there are several threads here on this.

Do a search in this forum for 'leopard optimization'.

You might also want to get the Secrets pref pane for System Preferences. It makes things a lot easier.

6. JohnnyH1012 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and I had no idea there was such a thing as the secret System Preferences Pane... I'll have to check that one out!~

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Remember to read that whole guide through that eyoungren linked to before attempting anything! When eyoungren, Intell, and I wrote the guide, we added on different tips that all have different system requirements.

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I find Leopard run's just fine on Powerbook G4's

What you might wanna do is to make a image of your new pb drive so if leopard doesn't work out you can always go back to the way your pb came from seller...

I use Superduper....(note you will need version v2.7.1...which is on right side of page half way down...)

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html