867MHZ PowerMac and 30" Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by S_Chandler, Oct 28, 2007.

1. S_Chandler macrumors newbie

I'm sure this post will get a few laughs from those of you who don't have an 8 year old computer, but I need some info.

I have a G4 PowerMac, 867 MHZ with 1.12 GB of RAM. It's running Leopard, and my 21" Sony CRT display is powered by a Nvidia GeForce2 MX.

My current monitor is slowly dying, and I may have the option of getting a 30" Apple Cinema display for super cheap. I was wondering if there are any graphics cards available for my G4 that can power that huge monitor? I may also be replacing the G4 with a laptop before I go back to school, but it will probably be a used 12" PowerBook or something like that, as I won't have much money. I'm an artist and the 30" display would be great for me.

I would appreciate any advice. I did a quick search through the forums, but couldn't find anything relating to my computer and this display.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I believe the Radeon 9800 for Mac would be able to power the 30" ACD, I'm just not sure if anything below that would be able to. I have a Radeon 9000 in my PowerMac G4 (even older than yours) and it has a DVI port, but I don't know if it's Dual Link DVI.

The keywords to search for are Dual Link DVI when looking for 30" capable displays. Any single link DVI port will not run the massive resolutions possible with the 30" ACD.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was unable to find documentation that would support the Nvidia GeForce2 MX supporting dual-link dvi. I found that it supports Twin View which is basic support for dual monitors. While dual monitor support may make some believe a 30" ACD can be supported that is only a bad assumption as it is the resolution support that is needed, not the dual display. According to the specifications of the card it says
    I do not know if dual link TMDS is the same as dual-link DVI.

When I bought my 30" ACD for my 1.67 ghz PB with the 128mb video card I went to Apple.com support and did a live chat. In under 20 minutes I found it was supported. To further find out if it would run fine I took my PB to the Apple store and hooked up a 30" to it. They were fine with it. While you cannot do that so easily with yours, you can easily chat with an Apple support Rep.

4. S_Chandler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you help.

I searched for a dual link graphics card compatible with my Mac and the Radeon 9600 Pro will work. 256MB versions for Mac/PC go for about $200 on eBay, but I'm thinking now I may as well just put tht $200 towards the laptop now.

Jessica, what model PowerBook do you have? I wonder if there's a 12" that will handle that display.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it's a 1.67 GHz Powerbook then it's either a 15.4" or 17".

Better to get a new Mac for the 30". It's hard to find dual link cards for the G4.

6. S_Chandler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I did find several sources online selling that Radeon 9600, so I could use that. But I'm tying to be thrifty, and I like the portability of that 12" PowerBook, maybe there's a way to upgrade it's video card.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Laptop video cards are built-into the logicboard.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

15.4" Rev D? It is the 2nd to last rev, has the slower ram.