87% Battery Capacity after 56 cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phily, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Phily macrumors member

Hey at all,

I get ready for the next disappointment tomorrow (maybe no MBP update) and looking out for a MBP at eBay.
    I've found a good one (August 2009) 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD etc. for round about 900€ (1.200$) (in Germany we pay 1533€ for this model so round about 2088$).
    The guy sent me a screenshot of the battery capacity which is 87% (4762mAh) after 56 loadcycles. Is that acceptable? IMO it's a bit too low - what do you think?

Maybe I'm going to buy a AppleCare Protection Plan afterwards ... would the battery be covered?

Thank you in advance!

Phil

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A little low.

If it falls below 80% capacity before 1000 cycles.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

my macbook is 5 months old, has 98 cycles and is at 84%. I calibrate it frequently but it just drops and drops. I think its apples batteries that are the issue.

4. Azrael169 macrumors newbie

I rarely used my laptop away from a powerpoint, at about 13 months of age i noticed my battery was lasting barely 50 odd minutes. After a quick search online i found out what apple claimed about the life of there MBP batteries and it was no where near what i was experiencing. I rang up apple and complaiend and they said "to bad, so sad, its older than 12 months"... so i asked to speak to customer relations. 5 minutes later i had approved a free battery replacement :)

That was one of those times that i'm glad i bought a apple and they actually have decent customer service (well after abit of pushing on my behalf)

5. Phily thread starter macrumors member

6. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

No idea but hell heres my info.....

Attached Files:

7. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

My 13" uMBP has 38 load cycles and is at 88% original capacity. Its been like this for awhile now, every time i calibrate the battery i get a different capacity, anywhere from 4800mAh to 5000mAh.

At first i thought i had a faulty battery with the capacity dropping 12% after only 30 load cycles, but i think its leveled off now and its staying there.

Battery only lasts 4-5 hours now compared to 5-6 when i first got it.

I think apple has no choice but to replace the battery if it falls below 80% with less than 1000 charge cycles.

So i wouldn't be too worried about it right now. And you should get Applecare just for piece of mind and if something does go wrong you know your covered.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

88 cycles and mine is at 94% capacity on a replacement battery I got a few months ago for my non unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch. I have never "calibrated" my battery.

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

Battery capacity will vary between cycles, particularly depending upon the battery temperature when you charge it. 87% is not too bad, most likely it will vary between 87% and 90-something % each time you use it.

It's unlikely you have a bad battery (probably only 1 in 1000 is bad - perhaps less?). Most likely it's just normal variation.

Remember a new battery will only cost around $100-150 (or whatever in €). Applecare will cost you much more. IMHO it's not worth getting Applecare if you're worried about the battery. Use it as a negotiation point with the seller, and keep in mind that there is a SMALL chance you will need to spend $100-150 on a battery sometime in the next few years.

Users should treat batteries as a disposable item:- albeit one with a long lifespan. There is a small chance you will need a new battery during the computer's useful life, but the cost is pretty small. You will probably spend much more on printer ink over the next few years.