Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
It seems that the prices have risen fairly high in the last year, and I am wondering whether the price is finally flattening out or if perspective buyers should be patient as prices should drop in the near future.

I saw a newegg.com has a sale on Crucial 2 GB SO DIMMs for $44 each with free shipping. So is this a decent price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148192

Thanks

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
That's the best I've seen. I was about to buy some for about $50 a piece, so thanks for pointing this out.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
That's the best I've seen. I was about to buy some for about $50 a piece, so thanks for pointing this out.

No problem. I just ordered some myself. I figure even if prices drop another $10 a stick in the near future, its not that much of a loss, and I can at least stop looking.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I got mine straight from Crucial about 95-100 CDN (can't remember exact price). The savings aren't huge but any money saved is money in your pocket.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That's a great deal! Best one I've found on 2x2GB has been 100$ + shipping so far and I check NewEgg multiple times a week.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
nerd ;) :D

not that i can talk.. i check a number of australian websites for prices too - but our RAM is about 4x the price :(

I only use NewEgg to give links for people in here, never bought anything from there xD I work in a computer shop so it's nice to compare that prices as well

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I only use NewEgg to give links for people in here, never bought anything from there xD I work in a computer shop so it's nice to compare that prices as well

ahh, i knew you knew a lot about computer specs but i didnt realise it was because your occupation was computers!

the 2 stores i regularly check are normally the ones i purchased from. they are very competitively prices here in australia - and i go to work 2mins from one, and go to uni 2 mins from the other one. so no postage makes it worthwhile :)

newegg is ok with prices, i just wish they sent over here!

also, from one of these stores, 2x1GB of iMac RAM CL7 = $80Aus, 4x1GB CL9 (1333) = $250Aus :eek:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
ahh, i knew you knew a lot about computer specs but i didnt realise it was because your occupation was computers!

the 2 stores i regularly check are normally the ones i purchased from. they are very competitively prices here in australia - and i go to work 2mins from one, and go to uni 2 mins from the other one. so no postage makes it worthwhile :)

newegg is ok with prices, i just wish they sent over here!

also, from one of these stores, 2x1GB of iMac RAM CL7 = $80Aus, 4x1GB CL9 (1333) = $250Aus :eek:

Yea I started to work there because I've always been interested of computer and there I can actually use my knowledge and spread it. It's not a full time job because I'm a student as well. Most of the stuff I've learned from the net though, so I think my level of knowledge would be the same anyway :cool:

I usually buy from work with an employee discount or from one of the biggest electronics reseller in Finland.

2x1GB of DDR3 is about 45€ (~35€ with employee discount) and 1x4GB of DDR3 is about 145€ (~115€ with employee discount) so we have quite good prices in here ;)

Feel free to add my MSN (kriz_u_93@hotmail.com) so we don't have to steal this thread for our own conversation!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yea I started to work there because I've always been interested of computer and there I can actually use my knowledge and spread it. It's not a full time job because I'm a student as well. Most of the stuff I've learned from the net though, so I think my level of knowledge would be the same anyway :cool:

I usually buy from work with an employee discount or from one of the biggest electronics reseller in Finland.

2x1GB of DDR3 is about 45€ (~35€ with employee discount) and 1x4GB of DDR3 is about 145€ (~115€ with employee discount) so we have quite good prices in here ;)

Feel free to add my MSN (*msn*@hotmail.com) so we don't have to steal this thread for our own conversation!

those prices are very competitive! lucky you!

ive added you :) see you there

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Man, I got spoiled from being able to buy 4GB of DDR2 for $40 back when the prices were at their lowest a couple of years ago.

I just can't bring myself to pay almost $100 for 4GB of DDR3. I'm going to keep holding out until I absolutely need it. Hopefully it'll drop at least a little more.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I bought my 4GB DDR3 kit in 2008, when prices were at least €20 lower than they are now. Feel pretty good about that, now. Including VAT and shipping, the kit was about €86 back then. Right now, here in Europe, it would cost at least €110. Nice!

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I think I would bite on this deal if they shipped to Canada. Newegg.ca doesn't even carry that product.

Can someone tell me wtf is up with 2GB DDR3 prices. 4GB sticks are dropping at a faster rate than 2GB. I'm almost at the point where I'm thinking I should buy one 4GB stick now and have 5GB of ram. Not sure if that's a good idea though...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think I would bite on this deal if they shipped to Canada. Newegg.ca doesn't even carry that product.

Can someone tell me wtf is up with 2GB DDR3 prices. 4GB sticks are dropping at a faster rate than 2GB. I'm almost at the point where I'm thinking I should buy one 4GB stick now and have 5GB of ram. Not sure if that's a good idea though...

2GB is going up all the time. I think it is because of the market, 2GB goes for manufacturers and there may be shortage of them too so that's why. 4GB is more expensive and not used by manufacturers very much so there are plenty of them available

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
2GB is going up all the time. I think it is because of the market, 2GB goes for manufacturers and there may be shortage of them too so that's why. 4GB is more expensive and not used by manufacturers very much so there are plenty of them available

it all goes in cycles. I would be that the 2gig sticks will come down at some point

Man, I got spoiled from being able to buy 4GB of DDR2 for $40 back when the prices were at their lowest a couple of years ago.

I just can't bring myself to pay almost $100 for 4GB of DDR3. I'm going to keep holding out until I absolutely need it. Hopefully it'll drop at least a little more.

I remember paying 100 for a 1 gig stick and thinking it was a bargain...because it was for my mb back in 2007 timeframe

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I remember paying 100 for a 1 gig stick and thinking it was a bargain...because it was for my mb back in 2007 timeframe
You don't want to know, then, what the maximum amount of RAM, directly from Apple, cost for a bondi blue iMac in 1998. It cost me several hundreds, back then, for a mere 384MB. And later, in 2002, 1GB (2 x 512MB) of RAM for my then new iMac G4 cost me $329. Horrendous! And only three years ago, in 2007, 4GB of RAM for the first generation aluminium iMacs cost at least $200.

And now? Now you can get 4GB of RAM for $88. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.