8800 GT: BootCamp or Nvidia.com drivers?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vannibombonato, Feb 29, 2008.

1. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Dears,
    very simple question.
    Is there consesus on wether its better to use the outdated BootCamp drivers (im using Vista 32bit) or the latest from Nvidia.com / others?

In case, is there any specific procedure for installing BootCamp drivers or i just donwload and launch the Nvidia ones?

Thanks,

Vanni

2. Heliconsoul macrumors member

3. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

nvida drivers everytime! They have never let me down and it's nice to know that it's the latest driver.

4. vannibombonato thread starter macrumors 6502

Its sure that if you have a "normal" 8800 on a "normal" pc they're the best thing to do...but are you actually talking about the Mac versions of the 8800gt? Have you tried it yourself ;-) ?

Thanks,

Vanni

5. hkarlsen macrumors member

I can not game with bootcamp or nvidia. All games freeze after max 5 minutes play = hard reboot or if im lucky alt-tab and quit game.

6. Heliconsoul macrumors member

7. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I have Mac version of the 8800 and i downloaded the drivers from nvidia.com. I've had faultless gaming and get a better 3dmark score with Nvidia drivers than with boot camp drivers.

8. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I had a similar problem with not having aero enabled when I bootcamped. Downloaded the nvidia drivers from the apple site and has been working perfect since. The drivers from the apple site were just the standard nvidia ones with an nvidia installer.

I don't think drivers that are mac specific are required, just the correct ones for your card type and operating system.

Hope you get it sorted :apple:

9. TFT macrumors member

Nvidia drivers works better for me.

I am playing without faults Bioshock and Crysis (demo) at 1600x1200 with all maxed out. Only time I has a slight lag ... is when the antivirus decides to pop up! Gosh, I forgot how these programs work :)

10. Just sayin... macrumors member

I use the Nvidia.com drivers when playing HL2 (all settings on "max") on my XP SP2 in Bootcamp. No problems whatsoever - even in multiple-hour gaming sessions.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

x2. Always use the latest drivers available.

12. ray_uk macrumors member

:D

Always nVidia drivers.

TFT my advice is disable the ethernet card or wifi in device managere for windows and get rid of the antivirus and or other security software, it will only slow things down, after all not much of a reason to let windows connect to the internet if it doesnt absolutely have to.

:D

13. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Just about to purchase a Mac Pro with the 8800, do you guys install the official nVidia drivers talked about in this thread, in Windows or OS X?

I'm not sure which platform you are discussing.

14. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

If I may interject. They are talking about Windows. As for the current set of GFX cards only Apple releases OS X drivers.

15. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Has anyone done quantitative comparison of gaming fps rates with Boot Camp drivers vs. Nvidia drivers?

I saw a decrease in fps for Unreal Tournament 3 when going from Boot Camp drivers to NVidia ForceWare 171.17. I didn't notice any difference with Crysis.

If you're using NVidia drivers and are really seeing better performance than Boot Camp's drivers, what version are you using?

16. vannibombonato thread starter macrumors 6502

Have one game only.
    On World in Conflict, at something like 1600x900 full detail, on the benchmark test i moved from 26 up to 32 fps average.

Net, something like a 23% increase.

17. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You guys have to realize that nVidia hand tunes drivers for games. So when the next big game comes out you will see (then) current drivers perform ok. Then the next set of drivers come out and the performance goes up (usually). Well sometimes older games have performance dropoff because of the way they tune the cards. So if you have a particular game that runs well and then with the next release the performance goes down, if that is the only game you run just go back to the older drivers.

18. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

hey guys... I'm a newbie to the possibility to switch to Windows. I was about to check bootcamp but you are talking about switching with Nvidia Drivers!? Is there a how to somewhere I could look at? Thanks!

19. Amigalander macrumors regular

I'd follow this order:

1. Use Bootcamp drivers to set things up normally.
    2. Download the NVidia drivers.
    3. Uninstall your graphics card.
    4. Install the NVidia drivers.

with reboots between most steps.

20. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

It might be a bit difficult to play on-lines games that way, though. And playing games is probably the first reason why we have Bootcamp installed in the first place ;) :D

--Erwin

21. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

there is no reason to use bootcamp drivers instead of the newest ones. There is nothing specially mac-specific in the bootcamp drivers. They are just updated less frquently.

22. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

23. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I just updated to the NVIDIA drivers and everything works fine :) Will run a 3dMark test later tonight to see if my scores improved.

24. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Are you serious??!?!