8800 GT Fan driving me mad

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mooman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mooman macrumors newbie

mooman

Hola,

I've got my new Mac Pro ("default" setup + RAM and 3 Harddrives) with the GF 8800 about a month ago and everything was fine, all the fans spinning up for just a few seconds whenever I boot the machine and then the whole machine went very quiet.

But now, since about 3 days I'm having this strange issue with the fan of the 8800 not spinning down anymore, it's just running at full speed (and the noise it makes is absolutely driving me mad).

Does anybody have a hint/tip on what to do or check out?

The temps iStat pro shows don't show anything suspicious, they don't list the GPU though. Touching the heatsink of the graphics card it feels like I could make icecream on it.

I've tried rebooting the machine, booting it in windows (Boot Camp), leaving it switched of throughout the night, leaving it switched off with unplugged powerplug.

The ambience temperature of the room the Mac Pro stands in has actually dropped during the last days, because the weather has turned from sunshine to constant rain.

Is there anything I could do, reset, try?

Thanks for any help,
    Stefan.

2. FireSlash macrumors member

Try resetting the SMC...

Failing that maybe reflashing it (Instructions are in this forum)... if that fails, take it to apple.

3. mooman thread starter macrumors newbie

mooman

Thanks for the answer,

unfortunately resetting the SMC didn't help.

You mean reflashing the 8800's firmware with the EFI64 rom from this thread?

4. FireSlash macrumors member

yes, but if it's still under warranty, I'd take it to apple first. I don't know what flashing the firmware will do to your warranty.

If it's outside, go nuts. :cool:

5. mooman thread starter macrumors newbie

mooman

It's just 4 weeks old, so lots of warranty left. :p

I got a replacement card now and it's all working fine and dandy with the new one, so it's probably the temperature sensor or the fan control of the 8800 that decided to stop working.

Thanks for the help!