8800 vibrating against RAM cover?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stylishgeek, Apr 22, 2008.

1. stylishgeek macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just got my 8800 upgrade today and installed it right away of course, and I noticed when I installed it that it touches the RAM cover right below it (if you install in slot 1). I believe there's a performance reason to install in slot 1, more throughput or some such?

Anyhow, I can hear it vibrate against the RAM cover intermittently and it's driving me nuts. Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks!

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

1. As it should mount parallel to the cover, it shouldn't be close enough to touch it.
    2. It shouldn't be vibrating.

3. stylishgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have the card touching the RAM cover? I took it apart once after I noticed the buzz and all 4 screws for the RAM cover were in place, indicating that the RAM cover was in the correct spot. I don't see how there can be room between the card and the RAM cover unless I just have a "bad" system.

4. Help! macrumors regular

No, there is a small gap between the card and the ram housing area, in my mp at least.

5. nurfen macrumors member

Mine too.

6. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Same here. Thin gap, but a gap nonetheless.

Make sure you've got the PCIe card bracket retention plate and screws well seated. The bottom-most screw should lock down the graphics card in the bottom slot.

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye