8800GT BTO/Pricing question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ForgetRegret, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ForgetRegret macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone,

First off, this is my first post, but I've been reading for a long time. Lots of you offer some great advice!

I'm finally replacing my Windows desktop and adding a Mac Pro to my pitiful Mac collection (a Powerbook G4). I'm looking at a single 2.8 quad core build. I want the 8800GT and I'm trying to figure out the best option for making this happen price-wise.

I can get it BTO from Apple Education for $2468.74 with tax.

However, I can also get it from Mac Connection for $2199 (no tax/shipping) and then add an 8800GT upgrade kit from Apple education ($332.84 with tax,) for a total of $2531.84

If I'm thinking this through correctly, it seems that I can get the 8800GT in addition to the stock card for just $63.10 more. PLUS I have the option of getting VMWare Fusion for free after MIB through Mac Connection.

Does anyone see any flaws to my logic? Can anyone suggest any better options? Before anyone asks, I'll be using it for gaming and light photo/video editing. I don't want an iMac because I like my monitor better and want something I can expand beyond 4GB of RAM.

Thanks, everyone!

2. Spud1 macrumors member

Well theres no advantage to having both a stock ATI card and the 8800 - a) I doubt they would run happily together, and b) even if they did it would only be of use for running multiple monitors (>2).

The only benefit that I can see is that you would have a spare gfx card incase anything ever went wrong. You might be able to sell it but I imagine that would be as difficult as trying to sell the old 256mb sticks of ram that came in macbooks - no-one wants them as everyone already has them!

Personally I would buy it direct from Apple - they are generally pretty good with returns/complaints, and your getting it direct from the manufacturer so are more likely to get the latest revision off the production line as opposed to old stock that a reseller has lying around..

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They coexist very well; the old adage about not mixing manufacturers is irrelevant, and it's a good idea for even two monitors (one on each).

I would definitely buy from Apple unless you feel confident flashing the Apple 8800 GT ROM onto a 3rd party 8800 GT for crazy savings. There's a thread about that here. You can't miss it.

4. ForgetRegret thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't feel comfortable flashing the ROM... I would be buying the greatly overpriced Apple version of the card from the Education store.

I was thinking it would be nice to have another card for when I decide to get a second monitor (which might be sooner than later..) I've read on the forums that having two cards greatly improves performance.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

are there any other benefits in having both cards. for example, my mac pro is ordered with the 8800, but barefeats say that the 2600 is (at the moment anyway) the better card for pro apps. Could you set one to be used for pro apps and the other for games?

6. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

One card can power two 30 in monitors, so I advise you just get it with the 8800 from apple.

7. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

You mentioned ed discount. You can also get Fusion with ed discount for half price at the Apple Store...$39.99. FYI!!!