Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulCon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
UK
Hi All,

I recently got a cheap 1,1 with a 5770 card, I realise it must be a PC card as it only shows a picture won't it boots into OS X, the issue is I need a boot screen to install OS X so I bought a GeForce 8800GT off eBay, the guy said it's an actual mac version that came out of a 2008 MP straight from Apple and shows the grey boot screen but when I installed it into my 1,1 it doesn't show the grey boot screen, surely if it's an apple card it should have EFI and allow me to see the boot screen?

This is driving me mad now guys, I'm ripping my hair out :(

Thanks

Paul

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi All,

I recently got a cheap 1,1 with a 5770 card, I realise it must be a PC card as it only shows a picture won't it boots into OS X, the issue is I need a boot screen to install OS X so I bought a GeForce 8800GT off eBay, the guy said it's an actual mac version that came out of a 2008 MP straight from Apple and shows the grey boot screen but when I installed it into my 1,1 it doesn't show the grey boot screen, surely if it's an apple card it should have EFI and allow me to see the boot screen?

This is driving me mad now guys, I'm ripping my hair out :(

Thanks

Paul

Sorry to hear about your problem. There are actually 2 versions of the 8800GT 512mb. There is the 2nd generation 8800GT that only works on Mac Pros 2008 -2010. This version will not work with a 1.1 or 2.1 Mac Pro. While the first gen 8800GT Nvidia only works on Mac Pros 1.1-2.1 models. Always best to clarify with the seller on 8800GTs as it's tricky buying it online not knowing what you are getting. Ask the seller if you can return the card since it does not work with first gen Mac Pros.

PaulCon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
UK
Ah right, I didn't know that :(

I initially bought the mac after being told it was a 2009 model but after finding it was a 2006 I got a partial refund but I've had nothing but problems with it over the past 3 weeks, it runs smooth but the lack of boot screen as well as the hassle to get it run ML/Mavericks is driving me up the wall so I'm going get rid and save towards a 2010 MP I think for around £1000

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Pita!

I initially bought the mac after being told it was a 2009 model but after finding it was a 2006 I got a partial refund but I've had nothing but problems with it over the past 3 weeks, it runs smooth but the lack of boot screen as well as the hassle to get it run ML/Mavericks is driving me up the wall so I'm going get rid and save towards a 2010 MP I think for around £1000

That's a big PITA story Paul! Always makes me mad hearing peoples got scammed when told lies about hardware specs. I hope you can return the 8800GT and buy yourself a MP 1,1 compatible GPU and at least enjoy your MP until you can buy your 2010 MP. Did you search the board for any help getting ML or Mav working on your MP? This would be a nice start: 10.9 on MP 1.1 Good luck!

~ Cheers

Last edited:

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I see too many misrepresent 1,1 Mac Pro's on Craigs List it isn't funny. It's so bad someone else has resorted to posting an ad alerting potential buyers to beware.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009

Oh no. That's not good. Try to return the Mac Pro as I think the seller is not being honest with you from the start. Keeping it would not be advisable. It would have been best from the start that you did not accept the partial refund and just look for a better deal. :(

PaulCon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
UK
Thanks for the reply guys, yeah it really annoyed me how they told me it was a 2009, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of courier collecting and repackaging so I accepted £200 back so I got it for £399.

I would flash the 5770 and 8800GT but it seems really tricky to do and I haven't got a PC to put the card into to flash it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.