8800GT in new Mac Pro (Jan 08) question...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phantompower, Feb 21, 2008.

1. phantompower macrumors newbie

I have read many threads on topics about the 8800 and could not find a definitive answer to this question...(apologies if I missed it buried in a thread or two)...

I recently purchased a Mac Pro (Jan 08) whcih came with the 2600 stock. I ordered the 8800 upgrade kit which won't ship until March...but I was wondering:

Can I order ANY PC video card, particularly an 8800 designated for Windows and run it in my new Mac Pro along side my existing 2600? Specifically, I want to be able to boot into either the Mac OS using the existing 2600 and into Vista 64bit (boot camp) using the PC video card I added.

I have read NUMEROUS threads about people trying to get an 8800 working in the last Mac Pro rev, but this question is specific to the new Mac Pro and having a Windows-based video card running along side the Mac default video card.

Thanks

2. mrcandy macrumors regular

I bought a PC 8800 and flashed it to work with the MP.

However, prior to the flash I had the card installed and tried to boot OSX. My monitor was attached to the stock 2600XT card. The 8800 GT fan ramps to full speed and stays there, the MP gets to the grey screen and then freezes. The MP would boot XP via bootcamp without any problem.

So, no, you can't do what you want, at least not w/o removing the PC8800GT each time you want to run OSX.

P.S. My flashed PC8800GT allows me to run both OSX and XP via bootcamp with no problem.

3. arcsbite Guest

any fast advice for someone looking to do this?
    I'm about to wade through the "8800gt EFI64 ROM" thread, but a few fast and handy pointers would be golden.

4. phantompower thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info mrcandy. Now the ultimate question - will a flashed PC version of the 8800 compare to the version that the Apple Store is selling? In other words, do I stand to save money and lose no performance going this route or stick with my upgrade kit order at the Apple Store?

Thanks for opinions.

5. phantompower thread starter macrumors newbie

Disregard - I found several discussions on this in the EFI thread. Thanks again.