8800GT in Older Mac Pro (Read Here first)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Transeau, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Okay, I'm starting a new thread because people seem to ignore positive posts in the flame threads.

I received a call just like so many others this morning. However, rather than getting angry I made more calls and was transfered many times.

After about an hour of calls and transfers I was able to get a tech on the phone that has a great understanding of the pre-2008 Mac Pros, the Early 2008 Mac Pros and the 8800GT.

Apple's Sales department is trying to cancel orders because the card is untested in the pre-2008 Mac Pros.

The Tech (engineer actually) stated that even though the card is untested in the older Mac Pro, it is 100% PCIe 2.0 compliant, and 100% PCIe 1.0 backwards compatible. He stated that the is "no reason that it shouldn't work in the older Mac Pro."

His recommendation to me was to keep the order as it's still 5~7 weeks away from shipping, AND watch BareFeats for a review. Even if it ships before a review / test - you have 14 days to return it once it ships.

SO STOP YOUR FLAMES, have some coffee and relax. They did the same thing with the RAID Card. Once it was fully tested it was all good. The only difference here is that they made the new 8800 available MUCH sooner.

2. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Update: BareFeats is claiming that it's an EFI64 firmware on the card, and that the older MacPro is EFI32.

I'm still keeping my order. It's worth the risk to me. I can always return it.

3. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Nice thread, thanks :)

If it wasn't for the posts on the WoW forums from a Blizzard employee I'd be 90% sure the card was going to work in my Mac Pro.

I haven't cancelled my order based on your telephone conversation though :)

4. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Probably the card is only supported with OS X 10.5.2. If you get the card now and install it in a 2006-MacPro it won't work because 10.5.2 isn't out yet. If you get it as BTO option (in 3-5 weeks) it will be in a Mac Pro with 10.5.2 preinstalled and the drivers it needs.

Probably it will be officially compatible with all Mac Pros once Apple has released the new OS version. But it's only a guess...

5. knome macrumors 6502

knome

BTW this was also in the other thread.

If you get an 8800 from apple (probably people in the UK) and you don't see anyone else here claiming to have one in possession. POST UP. There may be a possibility that pulling the rom off will allow the cards to work with some tweaks.